Bowling News USA - June 28, 2011 Kelly Kulick Leads the Open After the Round of 32...
Four Team USA members finished atop the leaderboard in the U.S. Women's Open, after the Round of 32 Tuesday at AMF Showplace Lanes in Euless, Texas.
Defending champion Kelly Kulick of Union, N.J., who led the record field of 286 players after qualifying, had eight games between 201 and 278 to widen her lead to 53 pins. The PBA exempt player added an 1857 series to her 5920 qualifying total to lead the top 16 players into match play with 7777 total or an average of 243.03 for 32 games.
Shannon Pluhowsky of Kettering, Ohio, averaged 227 for the day en route to maintain second place with 7624. Two-time U.S. Open winner Liz Johnson of Cheektowaga, N.Y. posted the field-best 2007 series including a high game of 279 and a pair of 268s to leap from eighth to third place with 7572.
Storm's Shannon O'Keefe of Arlington, Texas, averaged 231.88 also including a high game of 279 but slipped one spot to fourth place with 7518.
Storm staffer Jodi Woessner and Lynda Barnes are tied for fifth place with 7505 and an average of 234.53. In case of a tie for fifth place after round robin match play, a one-game roll-off will determine who advances to the TV arena finals.
Former PWBA star Leanne Hulsenberg (Barrette) was just 43 pins off the pace for the finals in seventh place with 7462 and was followed by another Team USA member, Stefanie Nation of Grand Prairie, Texas, in eighth place with 7422.
The sixth member of the team which will represent the United States at the Women's World Championships in Hong Kong in September, Carolyn Dorin-Ballard of Keller, Texas, missed the cut in 30th place with 7033.
Dutch national team member Lisanne Breeschoten (pictured left with Mai Ginge Jensen, right) was the best of six international bowlers in the Round of 32 and one of three who advanced to match play. Breeschoten, who led the field after the first round of qualifying in which she had a 300 game, averaged 220.63 today to sit in ninth place with 7370 pinfall total and an average of 230.31.
Joining Breeschoten in match play is Helen Johnsson of Sweden, who finished the round in 13th place with 7267 (227.00) and current European Bowling Tour ranking leader Mai Ginge Jensen of Denmark, who took the 16th and last place to advance with 7244 (226.38).
Jensen rolled the Open's 12th 300 in the penultimate game of the day which propelled her into the top 16.
Roto Grip's Rachel Perez (10th, 7346), Tennelle Milligan (11th, 7302), Storm's Diandra Asbaty (12th (7300), Kristal Wilson (14th, 7264) and two-time U.S. Open winner Kim Terrell-Kearney (15th, 7246).
Among the players who missed the second cut was USBC Queens champion Missy Parkin (T20th, 7171) as well as international bowlers Nina Flack of Sweden (18th, 1783), Carol Gianotti of Australia (22nd, 7147) and Joline Persson-Planefors Sweden (29th, 7073).
The match play portion of the 2011 Bowling's U.S. Women's Open, sponsored by the Brands of Ebonite International, will start on Tuesday evening with the first eight games and concludes on Wednesday morning with seven games plus one game position round.
The top five after 48 games including bonus pins will advance to the stepladder final on June 30 to be staged midfield of the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, home of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys and host of Super Bowl XLV.
- 6/30/2011: Leanne Hulsenberg Over Kelly Kulick for U.S Open Crown
- 6/30/2011: 2011 Bowl Expo Update - Tom Hess Interview
- 6/30/2011: 2011 Bowl Expo Update - Roger Noordhoek Interview
- 6/30/2011: Root Shannon on to Victory Tonight!
- 6/29/2011: Storm's Shannon O'Keefe Makes the Show at the Open...
- 6/29/2011: 2011 Bowl Expo Preview
- 6/29/2011: Storm Booth Packed at Bowl Expo...
- 6/29/2011: Bowl Expo Kicks off in Texas...
- 6/28/2011: Full Speed Ahead for PDW...
- 6/28/2011: Kelly Kulick Leads the Open After the Round of 32...
- 6/28/2011: Storm's Shannon O'Keefe Third after Qualifying..Matchplay Begins at the Open...
- 6/28/2011: Storm's Jason Belmonte Nominated for ESPY
- 6/27/2011: Pluhowsky Leads at the U.S Women's Open, O'Keefe, Woessner, Asbaty in Contention
- 6/26/2011: Shannon O'Keefe Leads the Storm Staffers at Bowling's U.S Women's Open
- 6/26/2011: Bowl Expo 2011 Ready to Roll into Texas
- 6/21/2011: GEICO Team Shootout Telecasts Begin Saturday, June 25th
- 6/20/2011: Storm's Jason Belmonte Comments on Recent Televised Incidents
- 6/19/2011: Ron Mohr Over Walter Ray for PBA Senior U.S Open Title...Storm/Roto Grip Takes Top 4 of 5...
- 6/15/2011: Storm Staffer and Team Moosehead Grill Set USBC Record using Storm Equipment!
- 6/13/2011: Rhino Page Rolls to Victory with Marvel, Nano...
- 6/10/2011: Storm's Mark Williams Ready to Defend at 2011 PBA Senior U.S. Open
- 6/08/2011: Ryan Rocks in PBA Regional Action...
- 6/07/2011: Wayne Webb. Tom Baker Ready to Roll at PBA Senior U.S. Open