Bowling News USA - June 28, 2011 Storm's Shannon O'Keefe Third after Qualifying..Matchplay Begins at the Open...
Defending champion Kelly Kulick of Union, N.J. remained unchallenged when Squad B finished qualifying in the 2011 Bowling's U.S. Women's Open, Monday evening at AMF Showplace Lanes in Euless, Texas.
Kulick, who averaged 262.5 in the last block, won the qualifying with 5920 pinfall total, an average of 246.67 for 24 games, to lead the top 32 of record 286 players into the next round starting Tuesday morning at10 a.m.
Fellow Team USA members Shannon Pluhowsky of Kettering, Ohio, who led the field after day two qualifying, and Storm's Shannon O'Keefe (above) of Arlington, Texas, landed in second and third place with 5808 and 5663, respectively.
O'Keefe, the 2007 World Champion in Singles, averaged 243,63 for her third eight-game block to lead Squad B on Monday evening.
Storm's Jodi Woessner, (7th - 5578), Diandra Asbaty (12th - 5491), and Roto Grip's Carolyn Dorin-Ballard (31st - 5353) also made the cut.
Long-time Team USA member Lynda Barnes of Double Oak, Texas, who had a pair of 299s in the third round, finished in fourth place with 5652 and was followed by day one leader Lisanne Breeschoten of the Netherlands in fifth place with 5605.
Breeschoten was the best of nearly 50 foreign nationals and one of six who survived the first cut. Joining Breeschoten in the Round of 32 on Tuesday morning are three Swedes, and a Dane and an Aussie.
Helen Johnsson of Sweden was 15th with 5447 total and was followed by Australia's Carol Gianotti, a 16-time PWBA champion, in 19th place with 5415. Current European Bowling Tour ranking leader Mai Ginge Jensen was three pins and one place behind Gianotti with 5412.
Nina Flack of Sweden totaled 5400 to land in 23rd place while her compatriot, Joline Persson-Planefors (right) took the 32nd and last place to advance with 5345 or an average of 222.71.
Diana Zavjalova of Latvia and Kamilla Kjeldsen of Denmark missed the cut in 34th and 35th place by 12 and 33 pins, resp.
Qualifying at the 2011 Bowling's U.S. Women's Open ran from Saturday through Monday.
The top 32 players after 24 games advanced to bowl another eight games on Tuesday morning after which the field is trimmed to the top 16 for round robin match play on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning.
Match play consists of 15 games plus one game position round after which the field is cut to the top five who will determine the champion in a stepladder final on June 30 to be staged on the biggest stage possible for their sport: the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, home of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys and host of Super Bowl XLV.
- 6/30/2011: Leanne Hulsenberg Over Kelly Kulick for U.S Open Crown
- 6/30/2011: 2011 Bowl Expo Update - Tom Hess Interview
- 6/30/2011: 2011 Bowl Expo Update - Roger Noordhoek Interview
- 6/30/2011: Root Shannon on to Victory Tonight!
- 6/29/2011: Storm's Shannon O'Keefe Makes the Show at the Open...
- 6/29/2011: 2011 Bowl Expo Preview
- 6/29/2011: Storm Booth Packed at Bowl Expo...
- 6/29/2011: Bowl Expo Kicks off in Texas...
- 6/28/2011: Full Speed Ahead for PDW...
- 6/28/2011: Kelly Kulick Leads the Open After the Round of 32...
- 6/28/2011: Storm's Shannon O'Keefe Third after Qualifying..Matchplay Begins at the Open...
- 6/28/2011: Storm's Jason Belmonte Nominated for ESPY
- 6/27/2011: Pluhowsky Leads at the U.S Women's Open, O'Keefe, Woessner, Asbaty in Contention
- 6/26/2011: Shannon O'Keefe Leads the Storm Staffers at Bowling's U.S Women's Open
- 6/26/2011: Bowl Expo 2011 Ready to Roll into Texas
- 6/21/2011: GEICO Team Shootout Telecasts Begin Saturday, June 25th
- 6/20/2011: Storm's Jason Belmonte Comments on Recent Televised Incidents
- 6/19/2011: Ron Mohr Over Walter Ray for PBA Senior U.S Open Title...Storm/Roto Grip Takes Top 4 of 5...
- 6/15/2011: Storm Staffer and Team Moosehead Grill Set USBC Record using Storm Equipment!
- 6/13/2011: Rhino Page Rolls to Victory with Marvel, Nano...
- 6/10/2011: Storm's Mark Williams Ready to Defend at 2011 PBA Senior U.S. Open
- 6/08/2011: Ryan Rocks in PBA Regional Action...
- 6/07/2011: Wayne Webb. Tom Baker Ready to Roll at PBA Senior U.S. Open