Bowling News USA - June 7, 2011 Wayne Webb. Tom Baker Ready to Roll at PBA Senior U.S. Open
After missing the first four tournaments of the 2011 Professional Bowlers Association Senior Tour season recovering from his second knee surgery in seven months, PBA Hall of Famer and reigning Senior Player of the Year Wayne Webb is returning to action in the PBA Senior U.S. Open Presented by the Suncoast June 12-17 at the Suncoast Bowling Center.
Webb, who owns 20 PBA Tour titles and five Senior Tour titles, earned 2010 Senior Player of the Year honors in a thrilling showdown between Walter Ray Williams Jr. and defending Senior U.S. Open champion Mark Williams (no relation) that went down to the last tournament of the season.
"This last surgery was kind of a complete overhaul of the knee after I had some complications from the original surgery I had done last September," said Webb, who won the Senior U.S. Open in 2008 and 2009. "As of right now I can tell you I'm not 100 percent, but I'm going to be there no matter what."
The Senior U.S. Open is traditionally the toughest test of the year for the estimated 250 PBA Senior members who are expected. The tournament consists of 27 qualifying games with the top 24 moving on to compete in 24 games of match play. After 51 games, the top four will advance to the stepladder finals which will be webcast live on pba.com's exclusive Xtra Frame video-streaming service. In addition to the stepladder finals, Xtra Frame will also provide coverage of all match play rounds June 16-17.
Webb and fellow PBA Hall of Famer Tom Baker (Roto Grip staffer) of King, N.C., are the only players among the 50-and-older generation who have won the Senior U.S. Open twice. Baker, who also will compete in Las Vegas, won back-to-back Senior U.S. Open titles in 2005 and 2006.
"I'm practicing on a limited basis and still undergoing some therapy, so I'm hopeful I will see more improvement by the time the tournament starts," said Webb, who aggravated his ailing knee in last year's Senior U.S. Open where he finished ninth. "It's just going to take a little more time to get where it needs to be."
Webb, who also was the 1980 PBA Tour Player of the Year, defeated Ray Johnson of Battle Creek, Mich., 211-194, to win the 2010 season-finale at Airport Lanes in Jackson, Mich., last August for his third Senior Tour title of the season, a victory which clinched Senior Player of the Year honors. He also won the USBC Senior Masters and Senior Columbus Open earlier in the year.
By winning the Senior Player of the Year title, Webb became the second member of a very elite club, joining PBA legend Mark Roth as the only two players to earn both PBA Tour and Senior Tour Player of the Year honors. Roth was PBA Player of the Year in 1977, '78, '79 and '84 and Senior Player of the Year in 2002.
Whether or not he can win a third Senior U.S. Open title, 2011 will be a special year for the 53-year-old Webb. On July 1, he will be inducted into the USBC Hall of Fame in Grapevine, Texas. His bowling center – Wayne Webb's Columbus Bowl in Columbus, Ohio — will host the USBC Senior Masters for the first time July 31-Aug. 5.
PBA Senior U.S. Open Presented by the Suncoast
Suncoast Bowling Center in Las Vegas, Nev. (June 12-17, 2011)
Sunday, June 12, 2011 °
8 a.m. – Practice sessions
Pro-Am squads to follow
Monday, June 13, 2011 °
7 a.m. – Squad A, 6 qualifying games
10:45 a.m. – Squad B, 6 qualifying games
2:30 p.m. – Squad C, 6 qualifying games
Tuesday, June 14, 2011 °
7 a.m. – Squad B, 6 qualifying games
10:45 a.m. – Squad C, 6 qualifying games
2:30 p.m. – Squad A, 6 qualifying games
Wednesday, June 15, 2011 °
7 a.m. – Squad C, 6 qualifying games
10:45 a.m. – Squad A, 6 qualifying games
2:30 p.m. – Squad B, 6 qualifying games
Cut to the top 25% of the field
Thursday, June 16, 2011 °
7 a.m. – Cashers Round, 9 games
Cut to the top 24
2 p.m. - Top 24, 8 games match play (Xtra Frame coverage)
Friday, June 17, 2011 °
(Xtra Frame coverage of all rounds)
7 a.m. - Top 24, 8 games match play
Noon - Top 24, 8 games match play
Cut to the top 4 after 51 games
3:30 p.m. – Top 4 advance to stepladder finals
All times Pacific
- 6/30/2011: Leanne Hulsenberg Over Kelly Kulick for U.S Open Crown
- 6/30/2011: 2011 Bowl Expo Update - Tom Hess Interview
- 6/30/2011: 2011 Bowl Expo Update - Roger Noordhoek Interview
- 6/30/2011: Root Shannon on to Victory Tonight!
- 6/29/2011: Storm's Shannon O'Keefe Makes the Show at the Open...
- 6/29/2011: 2011 Bowl Expo Preview
- 6/29/2011: Storm Booth Packed at Bowl Expo...
- 6/29/2011: Bowl Expo Kicks off in Texas...
- 6/28/2011: Full Speed Ahead for PDW...
- 6/28/2011: Kelly Kulick Leads the Open After the Round of 32...
- 6/28/2011: Storm's Shannon O'Keefe Third after Qualifying..Matchplay Begins at the Open...
- 6/28/2011: Storm's Jason Belmonte Nominated for ESPY
- 6/27/2011: Pluhowsky Leads at the U.S Women's Open, O'Keefe, Woessner, Asbaty in Contention
- 6/26/2011: Shannon O'Keefe Leads the Storm Staffers at Bowling's U.S Women's Open
- 6/26/2011: Bowl Expo 2011 Ready to Roll into Texas
- 6/21/2011: GEICO Team Shootout Telecasts Begin Saturday, June 25th
- 6/20/2011: Storm's Jason Belmonte Comments on Recent Televised Incidents
- 6/19/2011: Ron Mohr Over Walter Ray for PBA Senior U.S Open Title...Storm/Roto Grip Takes Top 4 of 5...
- 6/15/2011: Storm Staffer and Team Moosehead Grill Set USBC Record using Storm Equipment!
- 6/13/2011: Rhino Page Rolls to Victory with Marvel, Nano...
- 6/10/2011: Storm's Mark Williams Ready to Defend at 2011 PBA Senior U.S. Open
- 6/08/2011: Ryan Rocks in PBA Regional Action...
- 6/07/2011: Wayne Webb. Tom Baker Ready to Roll at PBA Senior U.S. Open