Bowling News USA - May 13, 2011 Team USA Takes Two Bronze Medals In Masters At PABCON Men's Championships
GUADALAJARA, Mexico - Team USA earned two bronze medals Friday in the match-play Masters, the final event of the 2011 Pan American Bowling Confederation Men's Championships.
Bill O'Neill and Chris Barnes both lost in the best-of-three games semifinals at Bolerama Tapatio. Mexico's Alejandro Cruz took down O'Neill, 2-0, while Barnes lost 2-0 to eventual gold medalist Dan MacLelland of Canada.
"We had a good run this week, and it's hard to be too disappointed," said O'Neill, who won the all-events gold medal. "This format is a total crapshoot and for us to get a couple medals is OK. We're always disappointed when we don't win, but we brought home the gold in the important events."
Cruz, who earned Mexico its first medal of the Championships, struck out in the first game to beat O'Neill, 225-223, and then rolled to a 268-227 win for the sweep.
"I always like bowling against the crowd favorite," O'Neill said. "It's fun when you win that match as an underdog, but unfortunately I wasn't able to come out on top this time."
In the other semifinal, MacLelland, who earned the all-events silver medal, took the opening game, 257-223, and then claimed the second game, 255-212.
All six Team USA members were among the 16 players who advanced to the Masters competition based on their finish in the all-events standings. Wes Malott and Mike Fagan lost in the quarterfinals, while Patrick Allen and Walter Ray Williams Jr. were knocked out in the first round.
In the gold-medal match, MacLelland swept Cruz, 2-0, to win the title. The Canadian, who competes on the Lumber Liquidators Professional Bowlers Association Tour, won 269-203 and 224-175.
The two bronze medals in the Masters competition finished off a week where Team USA won gold medals in four of the six events. The Americans finished first in five-player team, trios, doubles and all-events, while also taking the silver medal in trios and a bronze medal in singles.
For more complete coverage of the PABCON Men's Championships, including photos, videos, stories and results, visit BOWL.com.
United States Bowling Congress
The United States Bowling Congress, as the national governing body, ensures the integrity and protects the future of the sport, provides programs and services to more than two million adult and youth members and enhances the bowling experience.
The interactive home of USBC is BOWL.com. Go to twitter.com/USBC for the fastest USBC headlines.
- 5/31/2011: Storm Staff Member Casey Murphy Takes Lead In Bowlers Journal Championships
- 5/31/2011: 57th U.S Women's Open Set for Dallas...
- 5/25/2011: Storm/Roto Grip Staffers Head to Chicago for GEICO PBA Team Shootout
- 5/24/2011: Walter Ray Wins PBA Senior Event with Storm Anarchy...
- 5/24/2011: Nutty for Nanos - Week 12 Winner!
- 5/23/2011: Storm Announces 2011-12 PBA Exempt Staff!
- 5/23/2011: Enter the July High Roller, TAT Now!
- 5/23/2011: Storm Partners With Purdue University Bowling Camp
- 5/23/2011: Turbo 2-N-1 Grips Take Over Team Event Lead in Reno
- 5/20/2011: Rhino Page Exempt for Next Season
- 5/19/2011: Storm's Tyler Jensen Cruises in Regional Action
- 5/17/2011: Good Bowlers Know Their Roll Before The Competition Begins
- 5/13/2011: Storm San Marino Open Set for July
- 5/13/2011: Team USA Takes Two Bronze Medals In Masters At PABCON Men's Championships
- 5/13/2011: Team USA Takes Gold, Silver In Trios At PABCON
- 5/11/2011: Storm Products, Inc. Staffer Breaks World Record!
- 5/10/2011: Nutty For Nanos - Week 10 Winner
- 5/09/2011: Weber Marches to 45th Regional Title with Hy-Road
- 5/04/2011: 2011 USBC Open Championships Update
- 5/03/2011: Nutty for Nanos - Week 9 Winner