Bowling News USA - April 27, 2011 Sullins Defeats Walter Ray For PBA Senior Title
Harry Sullins of Chesterfield Township, Mich., defeated Hall of Famer Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., 248-239 in the title match Tuesday to win the Professional Bowlers Association Senior Sun Bowl In the Villages at Spanish Springs Lanes.
Sullins, who won the 2009 PBA Senior World Championship for his first Senior Tour title, put together seven consecutive strikes after an open and spare in the first two frames of the title match to help seal the win.
“I thought I would have a good read with the ball I was throwing in the semifinal match but that wasn’t the case,” said Sullins, who also owns five PBA Tour titles. “I had to go to another ball, adjust my hand position and release and was able to put seven strikes together.”
The win brought back some memories for the 53-year-old Sullins who won his first title on the PBA Tour by defeating Williams in the championship match of the True Value Open in 1986.
“It brought back some memories bowling in that match,” Sullins said. “Anytime you bowl Walter Ray you’re in for a tough match. There’s a saying out here on tour—if you want to win you have to beat Walter Ray.”
Sullins had to win four matches Tuesday to get to the title match including a 253-175 win in the semifinal against Mike Hastings of Millsboro, Del.
“All the matches were tough today,” Sullins said. “I had a pretty good handle on the semifinal but I really felt I had to earn this one.”
In the other semifinal match, Williams, the 2010 Senior Rookie of the Year, defeated 2009 Senior Player of the Year Ron Mohr of Eagle River, Alaska, 270-199, to advance to the final match.
The next stop for the PBA Senior Tour is George Pappas Victory Lanes in Mooresville, N.C., for the PBA Senior Miller High Life Classic May 1-4.
PBA SENIOR SUN BOWL IN THE VILLAGES
Spanish Springs Lanes, The Villages, Fla.
Harry Sullins, Chesterfield Township, Mich. ($7,500) def. Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla. ($4,000), 248-239.
Semifinal Round (one-game matches, losers earn $2,500)
W.R. Williams def. Ron Mohr, Eagle River, Alaska, 270-199.
Sullins def. Mike Hastings, Millsboro, Del., 253-175.
Round of 8 (best-of-three games, losers eliminated, $1,700 each)
Mohr def. Brian Brazeau, Ocala, Fla., 2-1.
W.R. Williams def. Mark Williams, Beaumont, Texas, 2-0.
Hastings def. Ron Jacobson, Jupiter, Fla., 2-0.
Sullins def. Vince Honeycutt, Buford, Ga., 2-0.
- 4/29/2011: Parkin, Vidad Win USBC Queens Titles...
- 4/29/2011: April Sanchez Wins Uzelac Classic!
- 4/28/2011: Storm Products, Inc. Staffer Attempts To Break World Record
- 4/28/2011: Joshua Schuurman Takes Gold in European Youth Championships...
- 4/28/2011: Storm's Belmonte, Frilingos Rule Australia
- 4/27/2011: Sullins Defeats Walter Ray For PBA Senior Title
- 4/27/2011: Arnar David Jonsson Rolls the Nano to Victory in Germany...
- 4/26/2011: Nutty for Nanos - week 8 winner
- 4/25/2011: Daniel Veszi Soars with the Nano at European Youth Championships..
- 4/25/2011: Young-Kwan Kim Wins 2011 KYC Pro Bowling Tournament
- 4/24/2011: Mike Dias Captures First Title on PBA Senior Tour
- 4/22/2011: Storm Staffer Ryan Shafer Knocks Down Diabetes
- 4/21/2011: ABT Spring Nationals Results
- 4/21/2011: BWAA Collegiate Bowlers Of They Year Announced
- 4/20/2011: Matt Weggen Rides the Anarchy™ to USBC Open Championships Lead...
- 4/20/2011: Nutty for Nanos - Week 7 Winner
- 4/20/2011: Belmonte wins Orange Audi Open
- 4/20/2011: Ohio High School To Receive Grant Through YES Fund Program
- 4/14/2011: The Schlemer Report - Dick Weber Playoffs Show #3
- 4/14/2011: 2011 USBC Open Championships Update
- 4/13/2011: Dick Allen Downs Barnes for Dick Weber Playoffs Win
- 4/12/2011: Nutty For Nanos - Week 6 Winner
- 4/11/2011: Bowling Becomes A Part Of The Presidential Fitness Challenge
- 4/11/2011: Storm Regional Staffer Forkel Keeps Rolling in Vegas...
- 4/11/2011: Randy Weiss Vying for 1st PBA Title...
- 4/07/2011: 'Strikes For Sy' - Final Update
- 4/06/2011: Storm’s Kirsten Penny Inducted into World Hall of Fame
- 4/06/2011: The Schlemer Report - Dick Weber Playoffs Show #2
- 4/05/2011: Osku Palermaa shoots big games to win the 2nd Dream-Bowl Palace Open
- 4/05/2011: Storm Sponsored McKendree Bearcat Women's Bowling Team Captures NAIA Invitational Championship
- 4/05/2011: Nutty For Nanos - Week 5 Winner
- 4/04/2011: Lessons From Norm Paying Dividends for Tang...
- 4/03/2011: Gentleman Jack, Belmo Advance at Dick Weber Playoffs...