Bowling News USA - April 24, 2011 Mike Dias Captures First Title on PBA Senior Tour
After four seasons competing on the Professional Bowlers Association Senior Tour, Mike Dias of Lafayette, Colo., captured his first title by winning the PBA Senior Don Carter Open Thursday at Carter Family Bowl.
Dias defeated Tom Howison of Chillicothe, Ohio, 215-176, in the championship match after winning five previous matches Thursday to get to the final. Two of those matches were against PBA Hall of Famers Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., and Storm senior staffer Mark Williams of Beaumont, Texas.
“The toughest part of the whole day was definitely having to beat two Hall of Famers in back-to-back matches,” said the 54-year-old Dias who works as a software engineer for the Boeing Co. “You could say it was a dream match against Walter Ray having to throw two strikes to beat him.”
In the Round of 8, Dias defeated PBA Hall of Famer and two-time Senior Tour winner Mark Williams 2-1 in a best-of-three-game match, and then in a semifinal match defeated Williams Jr. who was also last season’s Senior Rookie of the Year, 222-213, to advance to the championship match.
“I had a feeling the scores would be low in the final match,” said Dias who has one PBA regional tournament title to his credit. “It was going to be a matter of which one of us adjusted the quickest. After the previous two matches I was actually pretty relaxed for the final so I just made the best shots I could and whatever happens, happens.”
In the other semifinal match, Howison, a third-year Senior Tour Player also looking for his first win, defeated 2009 Senior Player of the Year Ron Mohr of Eagle River, Alaska, 173-138.
The next stop on the PBA Senior Tour will be the Sun Bowl In The Villages at Spanish Springs Lanes April 23-26 in The Villages, Fla.
Final-day coverage of the Sun Bowl In The Villages will be available on pba.com’s Xtra Frame video service. Additional information can be found by visiting the pba.com homepage and clicking on the Xtra Frame logo.
PBA SENIOR DON CARTER OPEN
Carter Family Bowl, Winter Garden, Fla.
Mike Dias, Lafayette, Colo. ($7,500) def. Tom Howison, Chillicothe, Ohio ($4,000) 215-176
Semifinal Round (losers earn $2,500)
Dias def. Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., 222-213
Howison def. Ron Mohr, Eagle River, Alaska, 173-138
Round of 8 (best-of-three games, losers eliminated, $1,700 each)
W.R. Williams def. Mike Henry, Brunswick, Ohio, 2-0
Dias def. Mark Williams Beaumont, Texas, 2-1
Mohr def. Kenny Parks, Hammond, Ind., 2-0
Howison def. Dale Eagle, Frisco, Texas, 2-0
Round of 16 (best-of-five games, losers eliminated, $1,300 each)
W.R. Williams def. Kerry Painter, Henderson, Nev., 3-1
Henry def. Russ Freeman, Antioch, Ill., 3-0
M. Williams def. Dave Patchen, Oregon, Ill., 3-1
Dias def. Billy Block, Pembroke Pines, Fla., 3-0
Mohr def. Don Blatchford, Santa Monica, Calif., 3-2
Parks def. John Petraglia, Jackson, N.J., 3-0
Howison def. Keith Sharp, Orlando, Fla., 3-1
Eagle def. Tom Baker, King, N.C., 3-0
Round of 24 (best-of-five games, losers eliminated, $1,100 each)
Painter def. Warren Blankenship, Ardmore, Okla., 3-0
Henry def. Brian Brazeau, Ocala, Fla., 3-0
M. Williams def. Pete Couture, Titusville, Fla., 3-0
Dias def. Mark Scime, Winter Garden, Fla., 3-1
Blatchford def. Ed Marzka, Orlando, Fla., 3-1
Parks def. Steve Ferraro, Kingston, N.Y., 3-0
Eagle def. Henry Gonzalez, Colorado Springs, Colo., 3-1
Sharp def. Ernie Schlegel, Vancouver, Wash., 3-2
Round of 32 (best-of-five games, losers eliminated, $1,000 each)
Painter def. Tom Carter, Rockford, Ill., 3-2
Henry def. Peter Knopp, Germany, 3-1
Couture def. Sammy Ventura, Syracuse, N.Y., 3-1
Blatchford def. Keith Glasgow, St. Petersburg, Fla., 3-2
Dias def. Dave Bernhardt, Shelby Township, Mich., 3-0
Kenny Parks def. Terry Metzner, Kentwood, Mich., 3-0
Schlegel def. Dave Flemming, Fairborn, Ohio, 3-0
Gonzalez def. Kevin Croucher, Grants Pass, Ore., 3-1
- 4/29/2011: Parkin, Vidad Win USBC Queens Titles...
- 4/29/2011: April Sanchez Wins Uzelac Classic!
- 4/28/2011: Storm Products, Inc. Staffer Attempts To Break World Record
- 4/28/2011: Joshua Schuurman Takes Gold in European Youth Championships...
- 4/28/2011: Storm's Belmonte, Frilingos Rule Australia
- 4/27/2011: Sullins Defeats Walter Ray For PBA Senior Title
- 4/27/2011: Arnar David Jonsson Rolls the Nano to Victory in Germany...
- 4/26/2011: Nutty for Nanos - week 8 winner
- 4/25/2011: Daniel Veszi Soars with the Nano at European Youth Championships..
- 4/25/2011: Young-Kwan Kim Wins 2011 KYC Pro Bowling Tournament
- 4/24/2011: Mike Dias Captures First Title on PBA Senior Tour
- 4/22/2011: Storm Staffer Ryan Shafer Knocks Down Diabetes
- 4/21/2011: ABT Spring Nationals Results
- 4/21/2011: BWAA Collegiate Bowlers Of They Year Announced
- 4/20/2011: Matt Weggen Rides the Anarchy™ to USBC Open Championships Lead...
- 4/20/2011: Nutty for Nanos - Week 7 Winner
- 4/20/2011: Belmonte wins Orange Audi Open
- 4/20/2011: Ohio High School To Receive Grant Through YES Fund Program
- 4/14/2011: The Schlemer Report - Dick Weber Playoffs Show #3
- 4/14/2011: 2011 USBC Open Championships Update
- 4/13/2011: Dick Allen Downs Barnes for Dick Weber Playoffs Win
- 4/12/2011: Nutty For Nanos - Week 6 Winner
- 4/11/2011: Bowling Becomes A Part Of The Presidential Fitness Challenge
- 4/11/2011: Storm Regional Staffer Forkel Keeps Rolling in Vegas...
- 4/11/2011: Randy Weiss Vying for 1st PBA Title...
- 4/07/2011: 'Strikes For Sy' - Final Update
- 4/06/2011: Storm’s Kirsten Penny Inducted into World Hall of Fame
- 4/06/2011: The Schlemer Report - Dick Weber Playoffs Show #2
- 4/05/2011: Osku Palermaa shoots big games to win the 2nd Dream-Bowl Palace Open
- 4/05/2011: Storm Sponsored McKendree Bearcat Women's Bowling Team Captures NAIA Invitational Championship
- 4/05/2011: Nutty For Nanos - Week 5 Winner
- 4/04/2011: Lessons From Norm Paying Dividends for Tang...
- 4/03/2011: Gentleman Jack, Belmo Advance at Dick Weber Playoffs...