Bowling News USA - April 13, 2011 Dick Allen Downs Barnes for Dick Weber Playoffs Win
Dick Allen of Columbia, S.C., who called himself the “X Factor” among the three finalists, swept favorite Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Texas, in the “best-of-two-game” championship match to win the inaugural Dick Weber PBA Playoffs Sunday at Woodland Bowl.
Allen, who earned his third career PBA title and first in five years, threw the last five strikes in the first game in the championship round to overcome a 15-pin deficit and win, 237-218. He put together another strike of five strikes in the second game to take advantage of back-to-back pocket 7-10 splits by Barnes to win the second game, 221-193.
Allen immediately turned over the $50,000 check to his wife Sarah, but held onto the crystal trophy. “The money comes and goes. I want the trophy and a banner in the bar at Woodland Bowl along with all of the great players who have won titles here,” Allen said. “That means more to me than anything.”
Allen said he came into the PBA Playoffs finals under the radar. “A lot of people were cheering for Randy (Weiss) to win his first title, and Barnes was the obvious favorite,” Allen said. “So I was happy to be the X Factor. I just kept my head down and tried to get one more pin than the other guys. That’s all I did today.”
Barnes and Allen advanced to the championship match by rolling 245 and 209 games, respectively, in the opening elimination match when Randy Weiss of Columbia, S.C., was eliminated when he finished third with a 200 game. Weiss, who was trying for his first PBA title, earned $13,000.
Barnes threw strikes on six of his first seven shots in the first game against Allen, but Allen stayed close despite leaving the 10 pin on four of five shots in the middle of his game. When Barnes left the 4-6-7-10 split in the eighth frame, Allen capitalized with his closing string of strikes.
Allen was the victim of a pair of splits in the second game, helping Barnes take a 25-pin lead in the fifth frame, but the consecutive 7-10s “pretty much took the wind out of my sails,” he said. “There were a few pocket 7-10s on the left lane earlier in the tournament, so the first one wasn’t a huge surprise. But the second one was a stunner. I thought I threw the ball well.”
The Dick Weber PBA Playoffs was the final event of the 2010-11 Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour season.
DICK WEBER PBA PLAYOFFS
Woodland Bowl, Indianapolis, Sunday
Championship (best of two games):
Dick Allen, Columbus, S.C. ($50,000) def. Chris Barnes, Double Oak, Texas ($25,000), 237-218, 221-193.
Elimination Round (lowest score eliminated):
Barnes 245, Allen 209, Randy Weiss, Columbia, S.C., 200 ($13,000).
- 4/29/2011: Parkin, Vidad Win USBC Queens Titles...
- 4/29/2011: April Sanchez Wins Uzelac Classic!
- 4/28/2011: Storm Products, Inc. Staffer Attempts To Break World Record
- 4/28/2011: Joshua Schuurman Takes Gold in European Youth Championships...
- 4/28/2011: Storm's Belmonte, Frilingos Rule Australia
- 4/27/2011: Sullins Defeats Walter Ray For PBA Senior Title
- 4/27/2011: Arnar David Jonsson Rolls the Nano to Victory in Germany...
- 4/26/2011: Nutty for Nanos - week 8 winner
- 4/25/2011: Daniel Veszi Soars with the Nano at European Youth Championships..
- 4/25/2011: Young-Kwan Kim Wins 2011 KYC Pro Bowling Tournament
- 4/24/2011: Mike Dias Captures First Title on PBA Senior Tour
- 4/22/2011: Storm Staffer Ryan Shafer Knocks Down Diabetes
- 4/21/2011: ABT Spring Nationals Results
- 4/21/2011: BWAA Collegiate Bowlers Of They Year Announced
- 4/20/2011: Matt Weggen Rides the Anarchy™ to USBC Open Championships Lead...
- 4/20/2011: Nutty for Nanos - Week 7 Winner
- 4/20/2011: Belmonte wins Orange Audi Open
- 4/20/2011: Ohio High School To Receive Grant Through YES Fund Program
- 4/14/2011: The Schlemer Report - Dick Weber Playoffs Show #3
- 4/14/2011: 2011 USBC Open Championships Update
- 4/13/2011: Dick Allen Downs Barnes for Dick Weber Playoffs Win
- 4/12/2011: Nutty For Nanos - Week 6 Winner
- 4/11/2011: Bowling Becomes A Part Of The Presidential Fitness Challenge
- 4/11/2011: Storm Regional Staffer Forkel Keeps Rolling in Vegas...
- 4/11/2011: Randy Weiss Vying for 1st PBA Title...
- 4/07/2011: 'Strikes For Sy' - Final Update
- 4/06/2011: Storm’s Kirsten Penny Inducted into World Hall of Fame
- 4/06/2011: The Schlemer Report - Dick Weber Playoffs Show #2
- 4/05/2011: Osku Palermaa shoots big games to win the 2nd Dream-Bowl Palace Open
- 4/05/2011: Storm Sponsored McKendree Bearcat Women's Bowling Team Captures NAIA Invitational Championship
- 4/05/2011: Nutty For Nanos - Week 5 Winner
- 4/04/2011: Lessons From Norm Paying Dividends for Tang...
- 4/03/2011: Gentleman Jack, Belmo Advance at Dick Weber Playoffs...