Bowling News USA - March 7, 2011 Storm's Dominic Barrett Rolls to Emir Cup Win...
Storm International star Dominic Barrett denied two-time champion, Mubarak Al-Muraikhi of Qatar his third win, after a convincing victory over his challenger, 527-470 in the title match to claim the H.H. Emir Cup 2011 crown.
Barrett made it look so easy with the Storm Hy-Road™ and Prodigy™ while almost everyone was struggling the whole week in extremely difficult conditions... in both the qualifying rounds and the finals.
The third-seed ran away with the first game beating fourth-seed, Mubarak Al Muraikhi, 287-259 and a 28-pin lead over the defending champion. In the second game, the left-handed Qatari took a slender lead after the fourth frame as Barrett failed to repeat his strikes.
But towards the end, Barrett struck out from frame 7 to romp home another comfortable win over Mubarak, 240-211 and a two-game total pinfall of 527-470.
Despite having the home crowd behind him, Mubarak simple had no answer to put in any real challenge and had to settle for first runnerup and taking home QR 40,000 (aprox. US$10,900).
"The game plan I had was scrubbing the surface of ball so that it could roll more and help break down the lanes quicker and it worked," said the 25-year-old Barrett from Essex, England.
"The first game of 287 helped to ease off the pressure a little bit but because Mubarak also bowled well, I had to make sure all my shots were perfect. I made sacrifice to skip the European Tour and come here, so it's worth it."
Barrett, who tasted his first Asian victory, won the top prize of QR 75,000 (approx. US $20,600) and a trophy. The champion had moved closer to the title after he ousted No. 8 seed, Mohammed Al-Rageebah of Kuwait, 441-388 in the first Step 4 Final match.
Mubarak earned a third crack at the title after he beat o. 7 seed and another Kuwaiti, Jassem Darwish, 397-388 in the second Step 4 Final match. Jassem and Al-Rageebah finished third and fourth to win QR 13,000 each.
"Dominic was simply fantastic. I just lost to a better bowler," said Mubarak. "It would have been nice to retain the title and win it for the third time. But you cannot have it all your way sometimes."
In the earlier Step 3 Final, top seed, Wu Siu Hong was eliminated by Mohammed Al-Rageebah, 394-438 while Qatar's other finalist and No. 8 seed, Khaled Al-Doseri lost to Barrett, 386-421.
Mubarak cruised into the next step by defeating No. 5 seed Sayed Ibrahim Al Hashemi of UAE, 474-380 and No. 7 seed, Jassem Darwish fought back from a 148-172 poor first game to beat No. 2 seed, Naif Oqab 258-195 to advance with a 406-367 victory.
Wu ended up in fifth position, Naif sixth, Sayed Ibrahim seventh and Khaled eighth. All took home QR 6,000 each.
- 3/30/2011: Join Storm in Donating To Relief Efforts In Japan
- 3/30/2011: Gurney Grabs Golden Ladies Title
- 3/29/2011: Nutty for Nanos Week 4 Winner
- 3/29/2011: The Schlemer Report - Dick Weber Playoffs Show #1
- 3/29/2011: Judy Gurney Rolls to Golden Ladies Classic Title...
- 3/28/2011: Jaros, Weiss and Allen Adance at Dick Weber Playoffs
- 3/23/2011: Storm Virtual Gravity™ Nano Reviews
- 3/22/2011: Storm Staffer Tish Johnson Is On Fire!
- 3/22/2011: Nutty For Nanos Week 3 Winner!
- 3/15/2011: Nutty For Nanos - Week 2 Winner
- 3/14/2011: Diabetes Can't Keep Shafer off the Lanes by Mark Ambrogi
- 3/14/2011: Storm Bowling Balls Highlight Bowling This Month’s Readers Choice Awards
- 3/14/2011: Norm Duke Interview on Above 180.com
- 3/14/2011: Storm Teams Preparing For Intercollegiate Team Championships
- 3/14/2011: Michigan Team Captain Wins Truck At USBC Open Championships
- 3/12/2011: Walter Ray Looks to Extend Streak...Schlem Has the Nation Ready...
- 3/11/2011: Wiseman, Shafer, Belmonte Advance at the Dick Weber Playoffs...
- 3/11/2011: 8.9 Earthquake Hits Japan...Storm's Steve Kloempken is Safe...
- 3/09/2011: Y.E.S. Announces The Students Equipped To Strike (S.E.T.S) Program
- 3/09/2011: George Frilingos Uses the New Virtual Gravity Nano to Win Australia’s Kegel Open
- 3/08/2011: Nutty For Nano's! Week One Winner!
- 3/07/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Rolls to Emir Cup Win...
- 3/07/2011: Jason Couch Beats Parker Bohn for 16th PBA Title...
- 3/04/2011: Special Olympics Celebrates 21st Year As Prelude To USBC Open Championships
- 3/04/2011: Live Streaming Events Schedule For 2011 USBC Championships
- 3/02/2011: Strikes For Sy Update
- 3/02/2011: The Schlemer Report - U.S Open
- 3/02/2011: Storm Staffer Jeff Richgels Reviews the Virtual Gravity™ Nano
- 3/01/2011: Mike Jasnau in Reno for 2011 USBC Open Championships
- 3/01/2011: Watch Norm Duke's U.S Open Title Match, Post Game Interview!
- 3/01/2011: Now Available From Storm - The Virtual Gravity™ Nano