Bowling News USA - February 22, 2011 Robert Smith Nips George Frilingos for Euro-Med Storm International Masters Title..
(Pictured: George Frilingos)
Former PBA Touring professional Robert Smith United States, defeated Australia's George Frilingos 243-228, in the championship match of the 8th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge Saturday at Pearl Bowling Center in Malate, Manila, Philippines to capture the title and one million Philippine Pesos (approx. US($23,040).
The tournament was sponsored by Storm Products Inc.
Smith, who owns seven PBA titles and has won more than $775,000 during his career on the PBA Tour, now lives in Hong Kong. The 37-year-old right-hander had to sit and wait for his opponent as he earned the No. 1 seed for the four-player stepladder finals after going 7-1 in round robin match play with an average of 238.75.
Frilingos, a Storm International staffer, who used his third 300 game in the tournament to help grab the No. 3 seed, rolled three consistent games in the stepladder final. In the opening match, the Aussie eliminated No. 4 Surasak Manuwong (left), Thailand, 224-203 and went on to defeat No. 2 Gu Yong-Jin (right), Korea, 226-200, in the semifinal.
Gu made history in November 2010 when he defeated compatriot Kim Jun-Yung in the title match of the PBA World Series of Bowling Scorpion Championship to become the first Korean to win a PBA tournament.
With the advantage that No. 1 seed must be defeated twice to win the title, Smith started out commandingly and reeled off six consecutive strikes to take a 40-pin lead after six frames. Frilingos narrowed the gap with three strikes in frames 7 thru 9 and could have forced Smith to throw a strike on his first ball in the 10th frame, but a stubborn 4-pin sealed his fate,
Needing a solid pin count in his 10th frame, the U.S. Open winner of the year 2000 wrapped up the title and the one million Pesos top prize with a spare and a seven on the fill ball. Frilingos received PHP 500,000 for second place. Gu pocketed PHP 250,000 for third and Surasak garnered PHP 125,000 for fourth.
8th Euro-Med Storm International Masters Challenge
Pearl Bowling Center in Malate, Manila, Philippines (Feb. 13-19, 2011)
1. Robert Smith, United States, 243 (1 game), PHP 1,000,000 ($23,040)
2. George Frilingos, Australia, 678 (3 games), PHP 500,000 ($11,520)
3. Gu Yong-Jin, Korea, 200 (1 game), PHP 250,000 ($5,760)
4. Surasak Manuwong, Thailand, 203 (1 game), PHP 125,000 ($2,880)
- 2/28/2011: Uzelac Classic February Tournament Results
- 2/28/2011: A Classic Duke Victory...by Louie Wemett
- 2/27/2011: Never say Die.....Duke Defeats Major Mika for Second U.S Open Crown...
- 2/27/2011: Thriller!
- 2/26/2011: Duke One Win Away from U.S Open Title...Ryan Roars back...
- 2/25/2011: Norm Duke Rockets to Lead at U.S Open
- 2/25/2011: U.S Bowler All American Team
- 2/25/2011: Storm Brewing at U.S Open
- 2/25/2011: Storm College Teams Highlight Sectional Qualifying
- 2/24/2011: Norm Duke Makes a Move at U.S Open
- 2/23/2011: Andres Gomez Tops the List of Storm Staffers in Round One
- 2/23/2011: Storm's Nanotechnology Makes Mention In The Wall Street Journal
- 2/22/2011: Wimer, Haynes Take Southern Nevada Bowling Tournament Titles...
- 2/22/2011: Al-Hashimi Crowned Champion of 8th Bevida-Storm Challenge...
- 2/22/2011: Robert Smith Nips George Frilingos for Euro-Med Storm International Masters Title..
- 2/21/2011: Pete Weber Interview
- 2/21/2011: Storm Staffers Gunning for Open Title...
- 2/18/2011: 'Easy Ed' Roberts'...High Roller Senior Superstar!
- 2/16/2011: The Schlemer Report - USBC Masters
- 2/15/2011: Uzelac Classic Results - January 2011
- 2/15/2011: George Frilingos Wins Televised Tournament In Australia
- 2/14/2011: Ed Roberts Rolls To Second High Roller Title...
- 2/13/2011: Tom Hess Delivers...Rides the Virtual Gravity™ Nano to Masters Title...
- 2/12/2011: Jurek Earns Top Seed at the Masters...
- 2/11/2011: Storm Warning....Hess, Warren, Jurek and DeVaney are Left in Winner's Bracket...
- 2/11/2011: David Pavilack, Scott Pohl Take VIP, Sweeper Titles at February High Roller
- 2/10/2011: Storm staffer Tom Hess Buries Walter Ray Williams Jr. in the Winner's Bracket
- 2/10/2011: Storm's Ralph Solan, Steve Kloempken Make the Cut to 65 at the Masters...
- 2/09/2011: Steven Smith Takes the High Roller "A" Game...
- 2/09/2011: Belmonte Leads the Storm Staffers at the USBC Masters
- 2/08/2011: Ron Nelson Wins February High Roller Opening Day Sweeper
- 2/08/2011: Reno, National Bowling Stadium, Ready for the Masters...
- 2/08/2011: Storm VP Hank Boomershine Talks Bowling On Blogtalk Radio
- 2/06/2011: 2011 USBC Masters Schedule
- 2/06/2011: Bemonte, Chris Paul Double Down at Celebrity Invitational
- 2/04/2011: 2011 February High Roller Ready for Takeoff at Sam's Town...
- 2/04/2011: Weber Eyes the Masters...
- 2/03/2011: World Bowling Tour Finals to be Televised...
- 2/03/2011: New Product Release Announcement - Virtual Gravity™ Nano!
- 2/02/2011: The Schlemer Report - Earl Anthony Memorial Classic
- 2/02/2011: Storm Staffer Donna Conners Wins Texas Senior Queens
- 2/01/2011: The Otago Family Loves Storm!
- 2/01/2011: Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational, Sponsored by Storm Products, Airs Sunday on ESPN