Bowling News USA - February 18, 2011 'Easy Ed' Roberts'...High Roller Senior Superstar!
(Pictured: Vernon Peterson, Ed Roberts, Hank Boomershine)
Seniors, seniors, seniors! There is no stopping them, the older they get, it seems the better they get!
Ed Roberts, the 67 year-old Storm Senior staffer from Braintree, Mass, picked up his 2nd High Roller title becoming only the 3rd player to have won both the February and July High Roller. Roberts won previously in July, 2008. He represented the age 60 & Over division in the Championship Round and, although relieved and happy, didn't think he would win as he took a seat after completing his 10th frame.
Roberts finished first in the 10th frame, spare/strike for 208 but there were still 2 players who could pass him. Vernon Peterson, the last undefeated player in the Age 45 & Under division was no stranger to Championship Rounds, but had started his 1-gamer with 2 opens and had to play catch-up. As he looked up in the 10th, he was just a double away from overtaking Roberts.
Also in the hunt was High Roller veteran Greg Shields, the 54 year-old from Independence, MO, and although in his first finals, is always feared on the lanes. Roberts thought he might sidestep one of those 2 players but didn't dream that neither one would pass him, Roberts topping the Championship Round 208-203-200-171.
For Roberts, the $25,000 prize and his 2nd title. Although scheduled for knee surgery in the coming weeks, Roberts vowed to be back for the Senior Easter Classic, bad news for the rest of the field!
Shields ended up 2nd for $12,500, just another senior taking home a 5-figure prize! Peterson, the 38 year old from Lake Wales, FL earned $11,000 for his 3rd place finish. Peterson fired a 300 game earlier in the day in match play.
From the 215 Average & Under division, Dennis Beagle, from Lehigh Acres, FL took home $10,000 in his best High Roller performance. Earlier he had fired the only 700 series in his division and now becomes the newest member of High Roller's $10,000 Club!
In the "Luck of the Draw" Department, when Chris Hester and Vinnie Atria checked in together for the early morning VIP, Atria told Hester to draw a lane for him. Hester drew lane #1A and everyone around the check-in desk roared as Atria put his hands around Hester's neck. Needless to say, Atria fired 258 on the pair he didn't want to win the 1-game VIP and $1,000!
Traveling can be tough and when Jon Rakoski arrived in Vegas from Florida he got violently ill. He spent the night in his hotel room but in the morning, traveling buddy Steve Calyore literally dragged him down for the early morning VIP squad. All Rakoski did was fire 255 to win the $1,000 and 2 hours later lead the 45 & Under division in qualifying and another $1,000 in the Money Round!
In the scoring department, despite the lower than usual scoring this week, former High Roller champ Vernon Peterson fired 800 even for 3 consecutive match play games during the finals: 237-263-300!
Local Las Vegas high school up-and-comer Chase Nadeau padded his scholarship fund this week, adding $1,500 from High Roller competition to his USBC Smart Fund. His plans are undoubtedly to follow in his dad's High Roller footsteps. Dan won the 1991 July High Roller with a $200,000 top prize and is still competing 20 years later!
Earlier in the week, Steven J. Smith picked up High Roller title #2 with his "A Game" victory and $10,000 prize. He bested Craig Auerbach and Darwin Wimer for the honors.
Sweeper winners were Ron Nelson, $4,000 & Scott Pohl $2,000.
Next up is the Senior Easter Classic, hosted by Sam's Town from April 17 to 24. There are 3 separate Classics for players aged 50 & over and 60 & over. There is also bonus qualifying for 70 & Over!
High Roller has now paid $88,578,733 in prizes to bowlers since the inaugural event in 1982! For more info and brochures, call us toll free 1-800-257-6179 or visit us at www.high-roller.com. Enter online - it's fast, easy & secure!
- 2/28/2011: Uzelac Classic February Tournament Results
- 2/28/2011: A Classic Duke Victory...by Louie Wemett
- 2/27/2011: Never say Die.....Duke Defeats Major Mika for Second U.S Open Crown...
- 2/27/2011: Thriller!
- 2/26/2011: Duke One Win Away from U.S Open Title...Ryan Roars back...
- 2/25/2011: Norm Duke Rockets to Lead at U.S Open
- 2/25/2011: U.S Bowler All American Team
- 2/25/2011: Storm Brewing at U.S Open
- 2/25/2011: Storm College Teams Highlight Sectional Qualifying
- 2/24/2011: Norm Duke Makes a Move at U.S Open
- 2/23/2011: Andres Gomez Tops the List of Storm Staffers in Round One
- 2/23/2011: Storm's Nanotechnology Makes Mention In The Wall Street Journal
- 2/22/2011: Wimer, Haynes Take Southern Nevada Bowling Tournament Titles...
- 2/22/2011: Al-Hashimi Crowned Champion of 8th Bevida-Storm Challenge...
- 2/22/2011: Robert Smith Nips George Frilingos for Euro-Med Storm International Masters Title..
- 2/21/2011: Pete Weber Interview
- 2/21/2011: Storm Staffers Gunning for Open Title...
- 2/18/2011: 'Easy Ed' Roberts'...High Roller Senior Superstar!
- 2/16/2011: The Schlemer Report - USBC Masters
- 2/15/2011: Uzelac Classic Results - January 2011
- 2/15/2011: George Frilingos Wins Televised Tournament In Australia
- 2/14/2011: Ed Roberts Rolls To Second High Roller Title...
- 2/13/2011: Tom Hess Delivers...Rides the Virtual Gravity™ Nano to Masters Title...
- 2/12/2011: Jurek Earns Top Seed at the Masters...
- 2/11/2011: Storm Warning....Hess, Warren, Jurek and DeVaney are Left in Winner's Bracket...
- 2/11/2011: David Pavilack, Scott Pohl Take VIP, Sweeper Titles at February High Roller
- 2/10/2011: Storm staffer Tom Hess Buries Walter Ray Williams Jr. in the Winner's Bracket
- 2/10/2011: Storm's Ralph Solan, Steve Kloempken Make the Cut to 65 at the Masters...
- 2/09/2011: Steven Smith Takes the High Roller "A" Game...
- 2/09/2011: Belmonte Leads the Storm Staffers at the USBC Masters
- 2/08/2011: Ron Nelson Wins February High Roller Opening Day Sweeper
- 2/08/2011: Reno, National Bowling Stadium, Ready for the Masters...
- 2/08/2011: Storm VP Hank Boomershine Talks Bowling On Blogtalk Radio
- 2/06/2011: 2011 USBC Masters Schedule
- 2/06/2011: Bemonte, Chris Paul Double Down at Celebrity Invitational
- 2/04/2011: 2011 February High Roller Ready for Takeoff at Sam's Town...
- 2/04/2011: Weber Eyes the Masters...
- 2/03/2011: World Bowling Tour Finals to be Televised...
- 2/03/2011: New Product Release Announcement - Virtual Gravity™ Nano!
- 2/02/2011: The Schlemer Report - Earl Anthony Memorial Classic
- 2/02/2011: Storm Staffer Donna Conners Wins Texas Senior Queens
- 2/01/2011: The Otago Family Loves Storm!
- 2/01/2011: Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational, Sponsored by Storm Products, Airs Sunday on ESPN