Bowling News USA - February 1, 2011 Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational, Sponsored by Storm Products, Airs Sunday on ESPN
NEW ORLEANS, La. - What happens when four of the biggest stars in sports and entertainment match up with the best bowlers in the world? Find out Sunday when the Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational bowling tournament airs at 4 p.m. Eastern on ESPN.
The fun filled event is sponsored by Storm Products!
You can’t get much hotter than the four celebrities who are matched with PBA stars in the third annual doubles event to benefit the CP3 Foundation.
● Host Chris Paul of the New Orleans Hornets last week was named a starting guard in this year’s NBA All-Star Game.
● Rapper Lil Wayne is on the cover of the current issue of Rolling Stone magazine.
● Hip-hop star Nelly’s single “Just a Dream” recently climbed to No. 1 on the pop charts.
● New Orleans Saints tailback Reggie Bush is still basking in the glow of his team’s 2010 Super Bowl triumph.
But how do they roll?
They will join Lumber Liquidations PBA Tour superstars and Storm Products staffers Pete Weber, Norm Duke, Wes Malott and Jason Belmonte to form teams for a doubles competition at Riverboat Lanes at the Naval Air Station in nearby Belle Chasse. The celebrities also face former PBA Tour Rookie of the Year Rhino Page in a special “Super Clash” match in a unique format. Each player rolls one ball each round, with the lowest scoring player eliminated until one champion is left standing.
The event, airing prior to the Super Bowl on ESPN for the second consecutive year, is to benefit Paul’s CP3 Foundation, which was founded in 2005 as a tribute to his late grandfather and the Winston-Salem, N.C., community where he grew up and starred at Wake Forest. The foundation has provided funding for activities ranging from a scholarship program to food drives to recreational support programs for underprivileged children in both Winston-Salem and New Orleans.
Paul and Belmonte are defending champions, having defeated the team of Norm Duke and Pittsburgh Steeler Lamarr Woodley when Belmonte struck out in the 10th frame to win. Woodley’s team had defeated Steelers teammate Hines Ward and Wes Malott to reach the final. Woodley and Ward will play key roles in the Super Bowl this year when Pittsburgh faces the Green Bay Packers.
The first Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational in 2008 was won by the team of LeBron James and Jason Couch over Paul and Chris Barnes. Other celebrities who have competed in the Invitational include Ludacris, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant and Rudy Gay.
For a short video promo of Sunday’s event, click on the Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational video screen on pba.com.
SUNDAY’S ESPN TELECAST AT A GLANCE
Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational
Where: Naval Air Station in Belle Chasse, La.
Date: Sunday, Feb. 6, 2011
Time: 4 p.m. Eastern (3 p.m. Central, 1 p.m. Pacific)
Tournament Format (Baker doubles - teammates bowl alternate frames):
Match 1: Pete Weber/Nelly vs. Wes Malott/Reggie Bush Semifinal Match: Winner of Match 1 vs. Norm Duke/Lil Wayne Championship Match: Winner of Semifinal Match vs. Jason Belmonte/Chris Paul
Bonus event: Rhino Page, Chris Paul, Lil Wayne, Nelly and Reggie Bush in a Super Clash (lowest score each frame is eliminated until one player survives).
Story taken from PBA
- 2/28/2011: Uzelac Classic February Tournament Results
- 2/28/2011: A Classic Duke Victory...by Louie Wemett
- 2/27/2011: Never say Die.....Duke Defeats Major Mika for Second U.S Open Crown...
- 2/27/2011: Thriller!
- 2/26/2011: Duke One Win Away from U.S Open Title...Ryan Roars back...
- 2/25/2011: Norm Duke Rockets to Lead at U.S Open
- 2/25/2011: U.S Bowler All American Team
- 2/25/2011: Storm Brewing at U.S Open
- 2/25/2011: Storm College Teams Highlight Sectional Qualifying
- 2/24/2011: Norm Duke Makes a Move at U.S Open
- 2/23/2011: Andres Gomez Tops the List of Storm Staffers in Round One
- 2/23/2011: Storm's Nanotechnology Makes Mention In The Wall Street Journal
- 2/22/2011: Wimer, Haynes Take Southern Nevada Bowling Tournament Titles...
- 2/22/2011: Al-Hashimi Crowned Champion of 8th Bevida-Storm Challenge...
- 2/22/2011: Robert Smith Nips George Frilingos for Euro-Med Storm International Masters Title..
- 2/21/2011: Pete Weber Interview
- 2/21/2011: Storm Staffers Gunning for Open Title...
- 2/18/2011: 'Easy Ed' Roberts'...High Roller Senior Superstar!
- 2/16/2011: The Schlemer Report - USBC Masters
- 2/15/2011: Uzelac Classic Results - January 2011
- 2/15/2011: George Frilingos Wins Televised Tournament In Australia
- 2/14/2011: Ed Roberts Rolls To Second High Roller Title...
- 2/13/2011: Tom Hess Delivers...Rides the Virtual Gravity™ Nano to Masters Title...
- 2/12/2011: Jurek Earns Top Seed at the Masters...
- 2/11/2011: Storm Warning....Hess, Warren, Jurek and DeVaney are Left in Winner's Bracket...
- 2/11/2011: David Pavilack, Scott Pohl Take VIP, Sweeper Titles at February High Roller
- 2/10/2011: Storm staffer Tom Hess Buries Walter Ray Williams Jr. in the Winner's Bracket
- 2/10/2011: Storm's Ralph Solan, Steve Kloempken Make the Cut to 65 at the Masters...
- 2/09/2011: Steven Smith Takes the High Roller "A" Game...
- 2/09/2011: Belmonte Leads the Storm Staffers at the USBC Masters
- 2/08/2011: Ron Nelson Wins February High Roller Opening Day Sweeper
- 2/08/2011: Reno, National Bowling Stadium, Ready for the Masters...
- 2/08/2011: Storm VP Hank Boomershine Talks Bowling On Blogtalk Radio
- 2/06/2011: 2011 USBC Masters Schedule
- 2/06/2011: Bemonte, Chris Paul Double Down at Celebrity Invitational
- 2/04/2011: 2011 February High Roller Ready for Takeoff at Sam's Town...
- 2/04/2011: Weber Eyes the Masters...
- 2/03/2011: World Bowling Tour Finals to be Televised...
- 2/03/2011: New Product Release Announcement - Virtual Gravity™ Nano!
- 2/02/2011: The Schlemer Report - Earl Anthony Memorial Classic
- 2/02/2011: Storm Staffer Donna Conners Wins Texas Senior Queens
- 2/01/2011: The Otago Family Loves Storm!
- 2/01/2011: Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational, Sponsored by Storm Products, Airs Sunday on ESPN