Bowling News USA - January 30, 2011 Ciminelli Wins First PBA Title in Dublin...
In his fourth season competing on the Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour, Ryan Ciminelli of Cheektowaga, N.Y., broke through to win his first title Sunday in the PBA One A Day Earl Anthony Memorial at Earl Anthony’s Dublin Bowl.
In a battle of lefthanders in the championship match, the 24-year-old Ciminelli defeated Tour veteran and 13-time Tour titlist Patrick Allen of Wesley Chapel, Fla., 237-215, to win the $20,000 first prize.
Allen used a Storm Reign™ and Hy-Road™ on the telecast.
Ciminelli’s previous best Tour finishes were second in the 2009 PBA Cheetah and Viper Championships and third in the 2010 United States Bowling Congress Masters.
“Even though I didn’t win last year I had a good year and just didn’t want to go back into a slump,” Ciminelli said. “Sometimes I think you have to go through the losing part first to prepare yourself to win.”
As the top seed for the tournament, Ciminelli felt this was his best opportunity to win a title and as a result lost a lot of sleep the night before the finals.
“I probably only got four or five hours of sleep last night,” he said. “But every time I closed my eyes I visualized a lot of scenarios and hoped this would be the outcome so I’m extremely relieved.
“I was bowling against one of my heroes in a tournament named after one of the greatest bowlers of all-time so it was even more than I could ask for.”
In the semifinal match Allen defeated PBA Hall of Famer and 35-time Tour titlist Pete Weber who finished third, 212-206, to advance to the final.
Weber used the new Storm Marvel™ on the telecast.
Even though Allen had to settle for second he was encouraged by his finish.
“Ryan got off to a strong start and I just couldn’t catch him,” Allen said. “He bowled great and I’m happy for him.
“I haven’t bowled well since late last year so this was a confidence booster for me. I bowled well against Tommy (Jones) in the first but was probably lucky to win against Pete but overall it was a good tournament for me.”
In the opening match, Allen defeated another 13-time Tour winner, Tommy Jones of Greenville, S.C., who finished fourth, 226-223.
PBA One A Day Earl Anthony Memorial
Earl Anthony’s Dublin Bowl, Dublin, Calif., Jan. 30
1, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y., (one game) 237 pins, $20,000.
2, Patrick Allen, Wesley Chapel, Fla., (three games), 653, $10,000.
3, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., (one game), 206, $6,000.
4, Tommy Jones, Greenville, S.C. (one game), 223, $5,000.
- 1/30/2011: Ciminelli Wins First PBA Title in Dublin...
- 1/29/2011: Pete Weber will Make a Run at 36th PBA Title Sunday...
- 1/28/2011: PBA's Tournament of Champions is the Talk of the Sports World...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Named World Bowling Writer's Bowler of the Year...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Kirsten Penny Elected to World Bowling Writer's Hall of Fame...
- 1/26/2011: The Schlemer Report - Tournament of Champions
- 1/25/2011: Winners Of The King Pin Scratch Open Sponsored By Storm
- 1/23/2011: Pedersen, Eagle and Nicholson Enter PBA Hall of Fame
- 1/22/2011: Major Mika Wins PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/21/2011: Tom Daughtery, Andres Gomez will Represent the Storm Nation in T of C Finals...$250,000 on the Line for First Place!
- 1/20/2011: Storm's Andres Gomez Makes a Big Move at T of C...
- 1/20/2011: Osku Hangs Tough as Matchplay begins at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/20/2011: Tournament of Champions Field will be Cut to 24 Today...Osku Leads the Staffers...
- 1/19/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Report
- 1/19/2011: Field Narrowed to 53 players at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/19/2011: Storm Cares - Strikes for Sy
- 1/18/2011: Storm's Osku Palermaa in Control at PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/18/2011: Osku - Norm Showdown in Vegas... $250,000 to the PBA's T of C winner...
- 1/17/2011: One Million Dollar PBA Tournament of Champions Lifts Off
- 1/17/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Underway in Las Vegas
- 1/15/2011: Barnes Downs O'Neill for PBA World Championship Crown...
- 1/14/2011: Jodi Woessner Wins Ohio Queens
- 1/12/2011: Lil Wayne, Nelly, Reggie Bush Join Field for Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational on Super Bowl Sunday
- 1/12/2011: Storm and Las Vegas Bowling Supply Team Up To Support The Fight Against Juvenile Diabetes.
- 1/12/2011: Learn To Bowl From Storm Staffer and Hall Of Famer Norm Duke!
- 1/11/2011: Now Available - The Storm Marvel and The Storm Victory Road!
- 1/10/2011: Osku, Jason and Wes Ready for PBA World Championship Brawl
- 1/10/2011: Storm Announces The Winner Of The Anarchy Pledge Contest
- 1/10/2011: USBC NEWS: Boyle, Pluhowsky Take Team USA Trials Titles
- 1/10/2011: The Best of the Best Just Got Better
- 1/08/2011: Riggs Gets the "Call."
- 1/06/2011: Diandra Asbaty Officially Signs Contract With Storm
- 1/06/2011: Asbaty Maintains Lead At Team USA Trials
- 1/05/2011: Asbaty Leads Opening Round at Team USA Trials
- 1/04/2011: The Schlemer Report - Shark Championship