Bowling News USA - January 29, 2011 Pete Weber will Make a Run at 36th PBA Title Sunday...
Storm star Pete Weber, 48, will be trying for his 36th Tour title Sunday at the PBA's One A Day Earl Anthony Memorial.
Weber's last title came in the Lumber Liquidators Marathon Open last April. The Hall of Famer's best finish this season is 17th in both the Brunswick Pro Bowling Cheetah Championship and GEICO Shark Championship.
“It may be hard to believe but I feel I’m bowling well but just not scoring well,” Weber said. “A lot of times it comes down to the breaks you get. You can throw it good but not get the breaks but when you do get the breaks you need to take advantage of them and I was able to do that.”
Storm PBA Tour Consultant Chris Schlemer reports that free agent Patrick Allen will also be using Storm equipment on the telecast. Allen is the number three seed.
Looking for his first Lumber Liquidators Professional Bowlers Association Tour title, Ryan Ciminelli of Cheektowaga, N.Y., earned the top seed for Sunday’s stepladder finals.
The 24-year-old Ciminelli earned the top seed with an 11-6-1 overall match play record and 32-game 7,688 overall pinfall total Friday, topping Weber of St. Ann, Mo., who had an 11-7 match play record and 7,572 overall pinfall to earn the No 2 seed.
Ciminelli’s previous best Tour finishes were second in the 2009 Cheetah and Viper Championships and third in the 2010 United States Bowling Congress Masters. He’s gained a lot of confidence after finishing 14th in last week’s PBA Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas.
“For whatever reason I haven’t matched up with the conditions well for a long time,” said Ciminelli. “Things started to turn around at the Tournament of Champions where my physical game was sharp and my mental game was locked in.
“If I can win it will take a big load off my shoulders. There’s a lot of pressure but I’m in the best position to be in so hopefully the pins will fall my way this time.”
Competing in the opening stepladder match that will be televised Sunday on ESPN2 at 2 p.m. Eastern (11 a.m. Pacific) will be Allen of Wesley Chapel, Fla., against No. 4 seed Tommy Jones of Greenville, S.C. Both players will be trying for a14th Tour title. Ironically, both of their last wins came in the DyDo Japan Cup—Jones in 2010 and Allen in 2009.
Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour
PBA One A Day Earl Anthony Memorial
Earl Anthony’s Dublin Bowl, Dublin, Calif., Jan. 28
Round of 16
(after 32 games, pinfall totals include match play bonus pins; top four advance to Sunday’s ESPN2 television finals)
1, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y., 11-6-1, 7,688.
2, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., 11-7, 7,572.
3, Patrick Allen, Wesley Chapel, Fla., 13-4-1, 7,535.
4, Tommy Jones, Greenville, S.C., 11-7, 7,534.
5, Mika Koivuniemi, Hartland, Mich., 14-4, 7,533, $4,000.
6, Jason Couch, Clermont, Fla., 10-8, 7,517, $3,600.
7, Mike DeVaney, Murrieta, Calif., 11-6-1, 7,436, $3,400.
8, Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J., 12-6, 7,416, $3,200.
9, Ronnie Russell, Marion, Ind., 9-8-1, 7,356, $3,100.
10, Ryan Shafer, Horseheads, N.Y., 12-6, 7,239, $3,000.
11, Wes Malott, Pflugerville, Texas, 8-10, 7,221, $2,900.
12, Nathan Bohr, Wichita, Kan., 9-9, 7,218, $2,800.
13, Mike Scroggins, Amarillo, Texas, 6-12, 7,209, $2,700.
14, Dave Wodka, Chatsworth, Calif., 10-8, 7,125, $2,700.
15, Stuart Williams, England, 7-11, 7,117, $2,500.
16, Mike Fagan, Patchogue, N.Y., 8-10, 7,094, $2,400.
- 1/30/2011: Ciminelli Wins First PBA Title in Dublin...
- 1/29/2011: Pete Weber will Make a Run at 36th PBA Title Sunday...
- 1/28/2011: PBA's Tournament of Champions is the Talk of the Sports World...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Named World Bowling Writer's Bowler of the Year...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Kirsten Penny Elected to World Bowling Writer's Hall of Fame...
- 1/26/2011: The Schlemer Report - Tournament of Champions
- 1/25/2011: Winners Of The King Pin Scratch Open Sponsored By Storm
- 1/23/2011: Pedersen, Eagle and Nicholson Enter PBA Hall of Fame
- 1/22/2011: Major Mika Wins PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/21/2011: Tom Daughtery, Andres Gomez will Represent the Storm Nation in T of C Finals...$250,000 on the Line for First Place!
- 1/20/2011: Storm's Andres Gomez Makes a Big Move at T of C...
- 1/20/2011: Osku Hangs Tough as Matchplay begins at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/20/2011: Tournament of Champions Field will be Cut to 24 Today...Osku Leads the Staffers...
- 1/19/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Report
- 1/19/2011: Field Narrowed to 53 players at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/19/2011: Storm Cares - Strikes for Sy
- 1/18/2011: Storm's Osku Palermaa in Control at PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/18/2011: Osku - Norm Showdown in Vegas... $250,000 to the PBA's T of C winner...
- 1/17/2011: One Million Dollar PBA Tournament of Champions Lifts Off
- 1/17/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Underway in Las Vegas
- 1/15/2011: Barnes Downs O'Neill for PBA World Championship Crown...
- 1/14/2011: Jodi Woessner Wins Ohio Queens
- 1/12/2011: Lil Wayne, Nelly, Reggie Bush Join Field for Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational on Super Bowl Sunday
- 1/12/2011: Storm and Las Vegas Bowling Supply Team Up To Support The Fight Against Juvenile Diabetes.
- 1/12/2011: Learn To Bowl From Storm Staffer and Hall Of Famer Norm Duke!
- 1/11/2011: Now Available - The Storm Marvel and The Storm Victory Road!
- 1/10/2011: Osku, Jason and Wes Ready for PBA World Championship Brawl
- 1/10/2011: Storm Announces The Winner Of The Anarchy Pledge Contest
- 1/10/2011: USBC NEWS: Boyle, Pluhowsky Take Team USA Trials Titles
- 1/10/2011: The Best of the Best Just Got Better
- 1/08/2011: Riggs Gets the "Call."
- 1/06/2011: Diandra Asbaty Officially Signs Contract With Storm
- 1/06/2011: Asbaty Maintains Lead At Team USA Trials
- 1/05/2011: Asbaty Leads Opening Round at Team USA Trials
- 1/04/2011: The Schlemer Report - Shark Championship