Bowling News USA - January 27, 2011 Storm's Dominic Barrett Named World Bowling Writer's Bowler of the Year...
Storm International staffer Dominic Barrett and Kelly Kulick have been named WBW Bowlers of the Year.
Read entire story here:
Barrett claims the title for the third time in three years. Kulick dominates ladies bowling and claims PBA TOC Between August 2009 and July 2010, Kelly Kulick had the most successful 12 months in women’s bowling history. Not only did she win the Tournament of Champions for a PBA Tour major championship (and a two-year exemption to continue bowling on the Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour through 2012.
Barrett most recently captured the 23rd Irish Open Championships . Barrett, England, and Cassie Staudinger, Australia, dominated the men's and women's division en route to win the 3.000 and 1.000 Euro top prizes, respectively.
Barrett, the 2010 European Bowling Tour ranking champion, captured his third career IO title after 2008 and 2008 and a runner-up finish in 2009. Staudinger, a member of the Australian women's national team, became just the second bowler from the Asian Bowling Federation to win the women's division. Sharon Low, Malaysia, accomplished the feat back in 1997.
The 23rd running of the Irish Open Championships was held from Jan. 21-23, 2011 at Stillorgan Leisureplex in Dublin, Ireland, and drew 21 women and 91 men from 17 countries - Australia, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Isle of Man, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Philippines, Scotland, Slovenia, Sweden, United States and Wales.
All players rolled eight games to cut to the top 61 men plus the top 5 from the Desperado Squad and the top 32 women who advanced to the second round with the pinfall being carried forward. As just 21 women participated all of them advanced.
The men added another three rounds of four games which trimmed the field to 32, 16 and then 8 who advanced to match play, while the women needed just two rounds of four games to cut to the top 8. The remaining eight men and eight women bowled another seven games of round robin to determine the champions.
Staudinger went wire-to-wire capturing her first IO title in record-setting style. The Aussie took a 206-pin lead after averaging 229.75 in the first round and widened her lead to 465 pins heading into match play out averaging her nearest competitor by almost 30 pins.
Staudinger won the first two games with 246 and 248 to wrap-up the title. She finished with 5256 pinfall total including bonus and an average of 225.91 for 23 games. Hannah Cullen, Ireland, averaged 218.86 in match play and won all but one game to leap from fifth to second place with 4803 (202.96). Third place went to 2009 IO women's champion Kerena Dykes, Ireland. with 4782 (202.26).
Barrett was in second place after Round One with 1878 trail leader Stephen O'Connor. Ireland, by 17 pins (1895, 236.88 ave.). The Englishman took the lead with a 1037 four-game series (259.25 ave.) in Round Two (268, 279, 268, 222) and never looked back.
Barrett added 972 in Round Three and 982 in Round Four including the tournament's lone 300 game, worth another 400 Euro), to hold a comfortable 322-pin lead over Ireland's Alan Gibbons with seven match play games to go.
Despite averaging 234.86 in match play, Barrett won just three of his seven games (he lost with 256 and 245). He finished in style firing a 276 to win his third title in four years with 6613 pinfall total including bonus and an average of 241.22 over 27 games.
Gibbons posted the field-best 1668 series in match play (238.29 ave.) winning five out of seven games to maintain second place with 6380 (230.19). Matt Hann beat out Graham Turner, both Ireland, for third place by 34 pins, 6164 to 6130.
- 1/30/2011: Ciminelli Wins First PBA Title in Dublin...
- 1/29/2011: Pete Weber will Make a Run at 36th PBA Title Sunday...
- 1/28/2011: PBA's Tournament of Champions is the Talk of the Sports World...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Named World Bowling Writer's Bowler of the Year...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Kirsten Penny Elected to World Bowling Writer's Hall of Fame...
- 1/26/2011: The Schlemer Report - Tournament of Champions
- 1/25/2011: Winners Of The King Pin Scratch Open Sponsored By Storm
- 1/23/2011: Pedersen, Eagle and Nicholson Enter PBA Hall of Fame
- 1/22/2011: Major Mika Wins PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/21/2011: Tom Daughtery, Andres Gomez will Represent the Storm Nation in T of C Finals...$250,000 on the Line for First Place!
- 1/20/2011: Storm's Andres Gomez Makes a Big Move at T of C...
- 1/20/2011: Osku Hangs Tough as Matchplay begins at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/20/2011: Tournament of Champions Field will be Cut to 24 Today...Osku Leads the Staffers...
- 1/19/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Report
- 1/19/2011: Field Narrowed to 53 players at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/19/2011: Storm Cares - Strikes for Sy
- 1/18/2011: Storm's Osku Palermaa in Control at PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/18/2011: Osku - Norm Showdown in Vegas... $250,000 to the PBA's T of C winner...
- 1/17/2011: One Million Dollar PBA Tournament of Champions Lifts Off
- 1/17/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Underway in Las Vegas
- 1/15/2011: Barnes Downs O'Neill for PBA World Championship Crown...
- 1/14/2011: Jodi Woessner Wins Ohio Queens
- 1/12/2011: Lil Wayne, Nelly, Reggie Bush Join Field for Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational on Super Bowl Sunday
- 1/12/2011: Storm and Las Vegas Bowling Supply Team Up To Support The Fight Against Juvenile Diabetes.
- 1/12/2011: Learn To Bowl From Storm Staffer and Hall Of Famer Norm Duke!
- 1/11/2011: Now Available - The Storm Marvel and The Storm Victory Road!
- 1/10/2011: Osku, Jason and Wes Ready for PBA World Championship Brawl
- 1/10/2011: Storm Announces The Winner Of The Anarchy Pledge Contest
- 1/10/2011: USBC NEWS: Boyle, Pluhowsky Take Team USA Trials Titles
- 1/10/2011: The Best of the Best Just Got Better
- 1/08/2011: Riggs Gets the "Call."
- 1/06/2011: Diandra Asbaty Officially Signs Contract With Storm
- 1/06/2011: Asbaty Maintains Lead At Team USA Trials
- 1/05/2011: Asbaty Leads Opening Round at Team USA Trials
- 1/04/2011: The Schlemer Report - Shark Championship