Bowling News USA - January 20, 2011 Osku Hangs Tough as Matchplay begins at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
Belmonte is 4th...Strong Showing for Storm Staffers...
Dan MacLelland of Saginaw, Mich., averaged 253.2 for his final seven qualifying games Thursday afternoon to lead the top 24 qualifiers into the match play finals of the $1 million Professional Bowlers Association Tournament of Champions at Red Rock Lanes Thursday.
The leaders after 34 qualifying games will bowl 24 additional head-to-head matches in three eight-game rounds Thursday night and Friday to determine the four players who will compete for the PBA-record $250,000 first prize in Saturday’s live stepladder finals on ABC at 2:30 p.m. Eastern (11:30 a.m. Pacific).
MacLelland, a Canadian citizen who is completing his sociology degree at Saginaw Valley State University, advanced from fourth place to first with a total of 7,894 pins, to take an 86-pin lead over Storm's two-handed star, Osku Palermaa, and a 94-pin edge over fifth-round leader Tom Daugherty of Wesley Chapel, Fla.
Click link below for an interview with Storm staffer Osku Palermaa...
MacLelland, a three-time collegiate All-American at Saginaw Valley State, has never won a Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour national title, but he came close during the PBA World Series of Bowling in early November when he led the GEICO Shark Championship qualifying only to lose the title to Palermaa, 173-149.
Among players who survived the cut to match play were Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Texas, winner of last Sunday’s PBA World Championship, and Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., the PBA Tour’s all-time titles leader with 47. Williams, who rolled a 254 in his final qualifying game to remain in contention, needs a Tournament of Champions title to become the third player in history to complete the PBA Triple Crown and Grand Slam.
Defending champion Kelly Kulick of Union, N.J., finished the tournament in 49th place.
46TH PBA TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS
Red Rock Lanes, Las Vegas, Nev., Thursday, Jan. 20
SIXTH ROUND (after 34 games; top 24 advance to match play)
1, Dan MacLelland, Saginaw, Mich., 7,894.
2, Osku Palermaa, Finland, 7,808.
3, Tom Daugherty, Wesley Chapel, Fla., 7,800.
4, Jason Belmonte, Australia, 7,715.
5, Sean Rash, Montgomery, Ill., 7,709.
6, Mike Edwards, Tulsa, Okla., 7,657.
7, Chris Barnes, Double Oak, Texas, 7,647.
8, Bill O'Neill, Southampton, Pa., 7,625.
9, Andres Gomez, Colombia, 7,618.
10, Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J., 7,613.
11, Mike Fagan, Patchogue, N.Y., 7,612.
12, Norm Duke, Clermont, Fla., 7,529.
13, Jesse Buss, Wichita, Kan., 7,498.
14, (tie) Mika Koivuniemi, Hartland, Mich., and Robert Smith, Columbus, Ohio, 7,495.
16, Tom Smallwood, Saginaw, Mich., 7,459.
17, Jeff Carter, Springfield, Ill., 7,454.
18, Tyler Jensen, Ft. Worth, Texas, 7,428.
19, Walter Ray Williams Jr., Ocala, Fla., 7,416.
20, Ryan Ciminelli, Cheektowaga, N.Y., 7,404.
21, Mike Scroggins, Amarillo, Texas, 7,402.
22, Anthony LaCaze, Melrose Park, Ill., 7,392.
23, Doug Kent, Newark, N.Y., 7,384.
24, Michael Machuga, Erie, Pa., 7,379.
Other Cashers (after 34 games):
25, Ronnie Russell, Marion, Ind., 7,377, $7,000.
26, Patrick Dombrowski, Parma, Ohio, 7,370, $6,500.
27, Jack Jurek, Lackawanna, N.Y., 7,367, $6,000.
28, (tie) Jason Wojnar, Chicago, and Stuart Williams, England, 7,365, $5,350.
30, Nathan Bohr, Wichita, Kan., 7,356, $5,000.
31, Paul Gibson, Brunswick, Ohio, 7,354, $4,800.
32, Sean Swanson, Springfield, Mo., 7,293, $4,600.
33, Diandra Asbaty, Chicago, 7,265, $4,500.
34, Brian Ziesig, Levittown, N.Y., 7,264, $4,400.
35, (tie) Liz Johnson, Cheektowaga, N.Y., and Ryan Shafer, Horseheads, N.Y., 7,255, $4,250.
37, Tony Reyes, San Bruno, Calif., 7,236, $4,100.
38, Michael Haugen Jr., Carefree, Ariz., 7,231, $4,000.
39, Todd Book, Wapakoneta, Ohio, 7,230, $3,900.
40, Tim Criss, Bel Air, Md., 7,215, $3,800.
41, Rhino Page, Dade City, Fla., 7,211, $3,700.
42, Mike Miller, Albuquerque, N.M., 7,202, $3,600.
43, Chris Warren, Grants Pass, Ore., 7,199, $3,500.
44, Pete Weber, St. Ann, Mo., 7,180, $3,400.
45, Bob Learn Jr., Macomb, Mich., 7,168, $3,300.
46, Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio, 7,159, $3,200.
47, Steve Jaros, Yorkville, Ill., 7,152, $3,100.
48, Eddie VanDaniker Jr., Essex, Md., 7,151, $3,000.
49, Kelly Kulick, Union, N.J., 7,145, $2,900.
50, Ritchie Allen, Columbia, S.C., 7,131, $2,800.
51, Eric Forkel, Las Vegas, 7,130, $2,700.
52, Rick Steelsmith, Wichita, Kan., 7,094, $2,600.
53, Patrick Allen, Wesley Chapel, Fla., 6,723, $2,500.
- 1/30/2011: Ciminelli Wins First PBA Title in Dublin...
- 1/29/2011: Pete Weber will Make a Run at 36th PBA Title Sunday...
- 1/28/2011: PBA's Tournament of Champions is the Talk of the Sports World...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Named World Bowling Writer's Bowler of the Year...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Kirsten Penny Elected to World Bowling Writer's Hall of Fame...
- 1/26/2011: The Schlemer Report - Tournament of Champions
- 1/25/2011: Winners Of The King Pin Scratch Open Sponsored By Storm
- 1/23/2011: Pedersen, Eagle and Nicholson Enter PBA Hall of Fame
- 1/22/2011: Major Mika Wins PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/21/2011: Tom Daughtery, Andres Gomez will Represent the Storm Nation in T of C Finals...$250,000 on the Line for First Place!
- 1/20/2011: Storm's Andres Gomez Makes a Big Move at T of C...
- 1/20/2011: Osku Hangs Tough as Matchplay begins at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/20/2011: Tournament of Champions Field will be Cut to 24 Today...Osku Leads the Staffers...
- 1/19/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Report
- 1/19/2011: Field Narrowed to 53 players at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/19/2011: Storm Cares - Strikes for Sy
- 1/18/2011: Storm's Osku Palermaa in Control at PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/18/2011: Osku - Norm Showdown in Vegas... $250,000 to the PBA's T of C winner...
- 1/17/2011: One Million Dollar PBA Tournament of Champions Lifts Off
- 1/17/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Underway in Las Vegas
- 1/15/2011: Barnes Downs O'Neill for PBA World Championship Crown...
- 1/14/2011: Jodi Woessner Wins Ohio Queens
- 1/12/2011: Lil Wayne, Nelly, Reggie Bush Join Field for Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational on Super Bowl Sunday
- 1/12/2011: Storm and Las Vegas Bowling Supply Team Up To Support The Fight Against Juvenile Diabetes.
- 1/12/2011: Learn To Bowl From Storm Staffer and Hall Of Famer Norm Duke!
- 1/11/2011: Now Available - The Storm Marvel and The Storm Victory Road!
- 1/10/2011: Osku, Jason and Wes Ready for PBA World Championship Brawl
- 1/10/2011: Storm Announces The Winner Of The Anarchy Pledge Contest
- 1/10/2011: USBC NEWS: Boyle, Pluhowsky Take Team USA Trials Titles
- 1/10/2011: The Best of the Best Just Got Better
- 1/08/2011: Riggs Gets the "Call."
- 1/06/2011: Diandra Asbaty Officially Signs Contract With Storm
- 1/06/2011: Asbaty Maintains Lead At Team USA Trials
- 1/05/2011: Asbaty Leads Opening Round at Team USA Trials
- 1/04/2011: The Schlemer Report - Shark Championship