Bowling News USA - January 12, 2011 Lil Wayne, Nelly, Reggie Bush Join Field for Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational on Super Bowl Sunday
NEW ORLEANS, La. – Celebrity A-listers competed on the lanes with The Storm and Roto Grip bowlers for charity last week. Hip-hop giants Lil Wayne and Nelly, along with New Orleans Saints running back Reggie Bush joined five PBA champions and host Chris Paul of the New Orleans Hornets for the third annual Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational at Riverboat Lanes on the New Orleans Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base.
The pro/celebrity doubles event, which supports Paul’s charitable CP3 Foundation, will air on ESPN on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 6 at 4 p.m. ET, for the third straight year as part of the PBA’s TV schedule.
Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour stars participating were Storm staff members and Hall of Famers Pete Weber and Norm Duke, former PBA Rookies of the Year Jason Belmonte and Rhino Page, and former PBA Player of the Year and Roto Grip staff member Wes Malott.
The standing-room-only crowd consisted of personnel from all four branches of the military and their families from the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base.
“The Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational has grown to be one of our most anticipated events every year,” said PBA Deputy Commissioner Tom Clark. “Chris and his superstar friends love bowling with our stars and the PBA is proud to partner with the Paul family on behalf of the CP3 Foundation, which continues to brighten kids’ lives.”
In the doubles competition, Weber paired with fellow St. Louis native Nelly, Duke teamed up with Lil Wayne, and Malott and Bush were an imposing pairing. Belmonte and Paul partnered in an effort to defend their title. The teams competed in a stepladder finals for the unique Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational trophy. Page took on the four celebrities in a new “Super Clash” shootout to kick off the festivities.
Other celebrities who have competed in the event’s history include Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Ludacris, Lamar Woodley, Jack Del Rio and Hines Ward.
Paul founded his CP3 Foundation in 2005 as a tribute to his late grandfather and the Winston-Salem, N.C., community where he grew up and starred at Wake Forest. The foundation has provided funding for activities ranging from a scholarship program to food drives to recreational support programs for underprivileged children in both Winston-Salem and New Orleans.
Paul, an avid bowler who frequently refers to bowling as his “second-favorite sport,” is on his way to another NBA All-Star season. Both Lil Wayne and Nelly are Grammy-award winning artists with new recordings currently at the top of the Billboard charts. Former USC star Bush helped the Saints win their first Super Bowl title earlier in 2010.
“What better way to get ready for the big game on Super Bowl Sunday than watch this spectacular PBA event earlier in the day on ESPN?” Clark said. “Not only are the bowlers and celebrities great personalities, they share a love of the sport of bowling and competition at the highest level.”
- 1/30/2011: Ciminelli Wins First PBA Title in Dublin...
- 1/29/2011: Pete Weber will Make a Run at 36th PBA Title Sunday...
- 1/28/2011: PBA's Tournament of Champions is the Talk of the Sports World...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Named World Bowling Writer's Bowler of the Year...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Kirsten Penny Elected to World Bowling Writer's Hall of Fame...
- 1/26/2011: The Schlemer Report - Tournament of Champions
- 1/25/2011: Winners Of The King Pin Scratch Open Sponsored By Storm
- 1/23/2011: Pedersen, Eagle and Nicholson Enter PBA Hall of Fame
- 1/22/2011: Major Mika Wins PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/21/2011: Tom Daughtery, Andres Gomez will Represent the Storm Nation in T of C Finals...$250,000 on the Line for First Place!
- 1/20/2011: Storm's Andres Gomez Makes a Big Move at T of C...
- 1/20/2011: Osku Hangs Tough as Matchplay begins at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/20/2011: Tournament of Champions Field will be Cut to 24 Today...Osku Leads the Staffers...
- 1/19/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Report
- 1/19/2011: Field Narrowed to 53 players at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/19/2011: Storm Cares - Strikes for Sy
- 1/18/2011: Storm's Osku Palermaa in Control at PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/18/2011: Osku - Norm Showdown in Vegas... $250,000 to the PBA's T of C winner...
- 1/17/2011: One Million Dollar PBA Tournament of Champions Lifts Off
- 1/17/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Underway in Las Vegas
- 1/15/2011: Barnes Downs O'Neill for PBA World Championship Crown...
- 1/14/2011: Jodi Woessner Wins Ohio Queens
- 1/12/2011: Lil Wayne, Nelly, Reggie Bush Join Field for Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational on Super Bowl Sunday
- 1/12/2011: Storm and Las Vegas Bowling Supply Team Up To Support The Fight Against Juvenile Diabetes.
- 1/12/2011: Learn To Bowl From Storm Staffer and Hall Of Famer Norm Duke!
- 1/11/2011: Now Available - The Storm Marvel and The Storm Victory Road!
- 1/10/2011: Osku, Jason and Wes Ready for PBA World Championship Brawl
- 1/10/2011: Storm Announces The Winner Of The Anarchy Pledge Contest
- 1/10/2011: USBC NEWS: Boyle, Pluhowsky Take Team USA Trials Titles
- 1/10/2011: The Best of the Best Just Got Better
- 1/08/2011: Riggs Gets the "Call."
- 1/06/2011: Diandra Asbaty Officially Signs Contract With Storm
- 1/06/2011: Asbaty Maintains Lead At Team USA Trials
- 1/05/2011: Asbaty Leads Opening Round at Team USA Trials
- 1/04/2011: The Schlemer Report - Shark Championship