Bowling News USA - January 10, 2011 USBC NEWS: Boyle, Pluhowsky Take Team USA Trials Titles
HENDERSON, Nev. - Scott Boyle of Salida, Calif., and Shannon Pluhowsky of Kettering, Ohio, pulled away for victories Friday at the 2011 United States Bowling Congress Team USA Trials.
Boyle, (Who was using Storm), led the men's field with a 36-game total of 8,180, an average of 227.2, while Pluhowsky shot 7,933, an average of 220.3, at Sunset Station's Strike Zone Bowling Center in suburban Las Vegas.
There wasn't much drama in either of the two left-handers victories. Boyle won by a 150-pin margin over Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Ocala, Fla., while Pluhowsky topped Liz Johnson of Cheektowaga, N.Y., by 103 pins.
"This means the world to me because everything I have ever worked for - all the hard work and practice - have finally paid off," said the 19-year-old Boyle, who attends Modesto Community College. "I was able to get off to a good start today and just stayed mentally focused. This is surreal."
Boyle lurked near the top of the standings all week but had trailed Mike Fagan of Patchogue, N.Y., who led each of the first three rounds. Boyle finally pulled into the lead by shooting 2,064 on the 38-foot Atlanta lane pattern Friday.
Pluhowsky, meanwhile, had the highest total in Friday's final round, finishing with 2,019 to jump into the lead and take home the title.
"This week was really a chance for me to learn a lot about the new equipment I'm throwing and to get some practice on the patterns that we see throughout the year at Team USA events," Pluhowsky said. "I felt like everything was pretty good physically, and every day I got a little better."
The top three men and top three women in the final standings who were not already selected to be on Team USA earned automatic spots on the 2011 Team USA roster. Williams, Pluhowsky and Johnson all were selected in November, so they were not eligible for the automatic spots.
Joining Boyle on the men's team was third-place finisher EJ Tackett of Huntington, Calif., and Fagan, who finished fourth. On the women's side, Brenda Padilla of Mansfield, Texas, Brittni Hamilton of Webster, N.Y., and Kim Yioulos of Rochester, N.Y., all earned the automatic spots by finishing third through fifth, respectively.
The National Selection Committee picked Diandra Asbaty (Storm Staff Of Champions) of Chicago, Bryanna Caldwell of Tucson, Ariz., Jarret Mizo of Honolulu and Steve Smith of San Diego to round out the final roster for Team USA in 2011.
Heading into the Team USA Trials, 13 players had already secured spots by virtue of their selection in November. Williams, Chris Barnes, Wes Malott, Tommy Jones, Patrick Allen and Bill O'Neill make up the remainder of the men's team. On the women's side, Stefanie Nation, Shannon O'Keefe, Pluhowsky, Johnson, Kelly Kulick, Tennelle Milligan and Carolyn Dorin-Ballard were selected.
The top two boys and top two girls finishers who are 20 years or younger before Jan. 1, 2011 also earned automatic spots on Junior Team USA. Boyle, Tackett and Yioulos all earned spots on both Team USA and Junior Team USA. Elise Bolton of Merritt Island, Fla., took the second girls spot.
The National Selection Committee polished off the Junior Team USA 2011 roster by adding Tyler Herrman of Harrisburg, Pa., TJ Baral of Palm City, Fla., Samantha Kelly of Hoffman Estates, Ill., and Jessica Earnest of Vandalia, Ill., to the team.
At the USBC Junior Gold Championships in Indianapolis last July, 12 players earned spots on Junior Team USA. The boys group includes Marshall Kent, Matt Gasn, Chris Via, Jacob Kent, Kyle King and Andrew Koff, while the girls team includes Hamilton, Addileen Pointer, Kristie Petravich, Kaitlin Quinn, Danielle McEwan and Liz Seibel.
Members of Team USA and Junior Team USA will compete in international competitions through 2011, including the World Women's Championships, Pan American Bowling Confederation Men's Championships, the Pan American Games, QubicaAMF World Cup, PABCON Youth Championships and Tournament of Americas.
The members of the team also receive world-class coaching and use of the International Training and Research Center in Arlington, Texas. The top two finishers at the Team USA Trials also have the option to receive free health insurance from the United States Olympic Committee for 2011.
- 1/30/2011: Ciminelli Wins First PBA Title in Dublin...
- 1/29/2011: Pete Weber will Make a Run at 36th PBA Title Sunday...
- 1/28/2011: PBA's Tournament of Champions is the Talk of the Sports World...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Dominic Barrett Named World Bowling Writer's Bowler of the Year...
- 1/27/2011: Storm's Kirsten Penny Elected to World Bowling Writer's Hall of Fame...
- 1/26/2011: The Schlemer Report - Tournament of Champions
- 1/25/2011: Winners Of The King Pin Scratch Open Sponsored By Storm
- 1/23/2011: Pedersen, Eagle and Nicholson Enter PBA Hall of Fame
- 1/22/2011: Major Mika Wins PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/21/2011: Tom Daughtery, Andres Gomez will Represent the Storm Nation in T of C Finals...$250,000 on the Line for First Place!
- 1/20/2011: Storm's Andres Gomez Makes a Big Move at T of C...
- 1/20/2011: Osku Hangs Tough as Matchplay begins at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/20/2011: Tournament of Champions Field will be Cut to 24 Today...Osku Leads the Staffers...
- 1/19/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Report
- 1/19/2011: Field Narrowed to 53 players at the 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions...
- 1/19/2011: Storm Cares - Strikes for Sy
- 1/18/2011: Storm's Osku Palermaa in Control at PBA Tournament of Champions
- 1/18/2011: Osku - Norm Showdown in Vegas... $250,000 to the PBA's T of C winner...
- 1/17/2011: One Million Dollar PBA Tournament of Champions Lifts Off
- 1/17/2011: 2011 Military Bowling Championships Underway in Las Vegas
- 1/15/2011: Barnes Downs O'Neill for PBA World Championship Crown...
- 1/14/2011: Jodi Woessner Wins Ohio Queens
- 1/12/2011: Lil Wayne, Nelly, Reggie Bush Join Field for Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational on Super Bowl Sunday
- 1/12/2011: Storm and Las Vegas Bowling Supply Team Up To Support The Fight Against Juvenile Diabetes.
- 1/12/2011: Learn To Bowl From Storm Staffer and Hall Of Famer Norm Duke!
- 1/11/2011: Now Available - The Storm Marvel and The Storm Victory Road!
- 1/10/2011: Osku, Jason and Wes Ready for PBA World Championship Brawl
- 1/10/2011: Storm Announces The Winner Of The Anarchy Pledge Contest
- 1/10/2011: USBC NEWS: Boyle, Pluhowsky Take Team USA Trials Titles
- 1/10/2011: The Best of the Best Just Got Better
- 1/08/2011: Riggs Gets the "Call."
- 1/06/2011: Diandra Asbaty Officially Signs Contract With Storm
- 1/06/2011: Asbaty Maintains Lead At Team USA Trials
- 1/05/2011: Asbaty Leads Opening Round at Team USA Trials
- 1/04/2011: The Schlemer Report - Shark Championship