Bowling News USA - December 6, 2010 Bill O'Neill Wins PBA Viper Championship
Bill O’Neill of Southampton, Pa., made his third Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour title look easy, eliminating four competitors to capture the Pepsi Viper Championship at South Point Bowling Center. The Viper Championship finals – the second leg in the PBA World Series of Bowling - aired Sunday on ESPN.
O’Neill, considered by many veteran observers to be a rising star on the PBA Tour, struck on six of his first seven shots in the title match to soundly defeat top qualifier Andres Gomez of Colombia, 237-203. To reach the championship contest, the No. 4 qualifier romped past PBA Hall of Famer Amleto Monacelli of Venezuela, 244-159; Mike DeVaney of Murrieta, Calif., 242-209, and Tommy Jones of Simpsonville, S.C., 248-192.
After converting a 4 pin in the first frame against Monacelli, O’Neill threw five strikes in a row to take an overwhelming lead. He started his match against DeVaney with six strikes, struck on seven of his first eight shots against Jones and maintained his torrid pace against Gomez.
During the World Series of Bowling, O’Neill qualified among the top 16 for match play in four of the five “animal pattern” segments, and earned the No. 1 stepladder position for the PBA World Championship finals which will be televised live on ESPN2 and ESPN on Jan. 14, 15 and 16 from South Point Bowling Center. He also qualified for the stepladder finals in the Scorpion Championship, which airs on ESPN on Dec. 19, and as a member of the United States team for the USA vs. The World telecast on Jan. 9.
The Chameleon Championship, the third of five World Series of Bowling “animal pattern” events, will air Sunday, Dec. 12, at 1 p.m. Eastern. The Chameleon stepladder finalists are two-handed specialist Osku Palermaa of Finland; Sean Rash of Wichita, Kan.; Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Texas; Wes Malott of Pflugerville, Texas, and top qualifier Scott Norton of Costa Mesa, Calif.
PEPSI VIPER CHAMPIONSHIP
South Point Bowling Center, Las Vegas, Nev., Dec. 5
1, Bill O’Neill, Southampton, Pa., four games (971 pins), $15,000.
2, Andres Gomez, Colombia, one game (203), $8,000. (Storm)
3, Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C., one game (192), $6,000.
4, Mike DeVaney, Murrieta, Calif., one game (209), $5,000. (Storm)
5, Amleto Monacelli, Venezuela, one game (159), $4,000. (Storm/Roto Grip)
Match One: O’Neill def. Monacelli, 244-159.
Match Two: O’Neill def. DeVaney, 242-209.
Semifinal Match: O’Neill def. Jones, 248-192.
Championship: O’Neill def. Gomez, 237-203.
- 12/28/2010: 2011 PBA Tournament of Champions Ready to Rock Vegas...
- 12/28/2010: Jensen Helps With A Different Type Of Bowl.
- 12/28/2010: Storm Products Welcomes Nicolas Moos!
- 12/27/2010: Osku Palermaa Powers to Victory on the Shark..Third Win for Storm/Roto Grip
- 12/22/2010: Uzelac Classic Tournament Results - Davis Lanes
- 12/21/2010: The Schlemer Report - Scorpion Championship
- 12/19/2010: Yong-Gin Gu Wins PBA Scorpion Championship...Second Win of the year for Storm/Roto Grip
- 12/17/2010: PBA Shark Championship Airs Dec. 26th 1:00PM EST on ESPN
- 12/14/2010: Scott Norton Breaks Through on Chameleon
- 12/14/2010: The Schlemer Report - Chameleon Championship
- 12/11/2010: Tim Mack Rolls to Victory in Reno...
- 12/10/2010: PBA Scorpion Championship Airs Dec. 19th 1:00PM EST on ESPN
- 12/07/2010: The Next Storm Prodigy™ - Michael Tang!
- 12/06/2010: The Schlemer Report - Viper Championship
- 12/06/2010: Bill O'Neill Wins PBA Viper Championship
- 12/05/2010: 2010 High Roller Thanksgiving Classic Results - Dick Baker Wins 60 & Over Classic!
- 12/04/2010: 2010 High Roller Thanksgiving Classic Results - Willie Wells Rolls to Title!
- 12/03/2010: 2010 High Roller Thanksgiving Classic Results - Siegrist Victorious with Storm Reign™!
- 12/03/2010: A Bowlers Dream!
- 12/03/2010: PBA Chameleon Championship Airs Dec. 12th 1:00PM EST on ESPN