Bowling News USA - October 22, 2014 Journal Sentinel: Son, grandson of Milwaukee bowling-pioneer family leaves legacy on game
Bowling was in Mark Kuglitsch's blood
| Journal Sentinel | October 13, 2014
In a way, bowling was in Mark M. Kuglitsch Jr.'s DNA.
The son and grandson of bowling center owners, Kuglitsch began bowling as soon as he was strong enough to hoist a bowling ball, helping set pins and running his family's business when he wasn't tearing up the lanes as an extremely gifted bowler.
Kuglitsch, 70, died Friday in Waukesha of complications from Parkinson's disease.
Pretty much anyone who owned a bowling ball in the Milwaukee area between the 1920s and early 2000s knows the name Kuglitsch. At bowling centers in West Milwaukee and later in Muskego, the Kuglitsch family is noteworthy in the sport for installing the first automatic pinsetters in the Midwest in 1957. They also were the first in Wisconsin to offer telescores so scores could be projected onto overhead screens for everyone to see.
"He was raised above the bowling center in West Milwaukee. He was a pinsetter before they had automatic pinsetters," said Mark Kuglitsch's son, Ryan Kuglitsch. "When he wasn't bowling he opened his own bowling center."
A West Milwaukee High School graduate, Kuglitsch, whose nickname was Corky, won the 1967 American Bowling Congress doubles championship and took second in 1984 with the same partner. He was part of the U.S. team that won the World Championship in Sweden in 1967 and also won the state doubles championship and "Bowling with the Champs" that year.
"I think he could just repeat that motion...[..]
Photos | Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal Sentinel | jsonline.com
- 10/22/2014: Journal Sentinel: Son, grandson of Milwaukee bowling-pioneer family leaves legacy on game
- 10/22/2014: WSOB PBA50 News: Injury forces Mohr to bench, Webb declines Edwards accepts spot
- 10/22/2014: Rolltech to provide bonus frame-by-frame scoring for WSOB qualifying for Xtra Frame subscribers
- 10/22/2014: Amateur Bowler's Tour South Point Stadium Nationals Nov 11-16 $100,000 guaranteed
- 10/21/2014: PBAW, PBA50 round-robins officially kick-off WSOB action Friday
- 10/21/2014: No shortage of compelling storylines for GEICO PBA WSOB VI; Catch all the action on Xtra Frame
- 10/21/2014: Midland University wins Sandhills Collegiate Bowling Challenge, Lady Warriors finish second
- 10/20/2014: PBA News: Bob Glass, Chris Peters, Barb Wilt Elected to PBA Hall of Fame
- 10/20/2014: Talktenpin World Exclusive: Meet The P|n Artist
- 10/20/2014: Roger Taylor, Sr. captures GIBA Storm Big Gun Totem Bowl Tournament title